Auckland Transport is responsible for the maintenance of streets, footpaths, and grass verges or berms, so that both traffic and pedestrians can move around quickly and safely.
- Request footpath repairs
- Learn about Auckland Transport's street cleaning responsibilities
- Find out about weed control and the no spray register
- Find out about urban berms and in what circumstances we will assist
- Find out which footpaths are scheduled to be repaired or replaced
- loose chip or debris.
- cracked surface.
- overhanging trees obstructing visibility.
- repair of roadside furniture.
Please provide as much detail as possible, including if there is water involved, whether the problem could cause serious injury to a pedestrian, and the cause of damage if known.
Auckland Transport is responsible for the cleaning of the streets and footpaths, to keep the city looking clean and tidy. This mainly takes place during the early hours of the morning and involves mechanically and manually sweeping the footpaths and streets, as well as collecting all the litter. A designated person with a hand-cart may also carry out spot-cleaning during the day.
The cleaning schedule varies throughout the region with high-use areas such as the CBD being cleaned continually throughout the day. The shopping areas in the suburbs are cleaned nightly. Main arterial routes are swept weekly and residential streets are swept approximately every twelve weeks. Frequencies and exact cleaning schedules are planned appropriate to an area's use.
The litter bins are emptied daily.
Contact us if you have any further enquiries about the cleaning of our streets.
The Auckland region is the main entry point for new plant species arriving in New Zealand. The temperate climate means plant species are quick to naturalise and once established as weeds, these new species can grow and reproduce rapidly.
Over 615 exotic plant species have naturalised in the Auckland Region in the past 150 years (Auckland RPMS 1997). On average, one new exotic plant naturalises in Auckland every 86 days.
These introduced plants, along with weed and ornamental species already in the City's numerous gardens, are the source of potential weed problems in parks and on roadsides.
Auckland Transport is responsible for the control of weeds in our footpaths, berms, streets and roads. Materials and processes used to control weeds vary throughout the region.
In the 2013/2014 Annual Plan, Auckland Council standardised urban berm mowing services throughout the region. The decision was based on a vote by current councillors to cease berm mowing in the old Auckland City Council area - the only area in the region to have their berms mown.
Councillors made this vote based on the ability to save about $3m per year with the objective of minimising rate rises in the city. Standardisation of berm mowing services came into effect on 1 July this year.
Generally the responsibility of mowing grass berms adjacent to all other properties now rests with the owners or occupiers. The alternative, providing berm mowing services region-wide, would have cost ratepayers an extra $12m - $15M a year.
This means the only berms Auckland Council will mow are those adjacent to council-owned properties.
People are asked to please take pride in their streets, be good community citizens and ensure the berms in front or to the side of their properties are mowed regularly.
Auckland Transport was given responsibility by Auckland Council for exceptions in the old ACC area. Auckland Transport may consider mowing berms adjacent to properties that are:
- steep and mowing poses a significant safety hazard (1:4 gradient)
- not to the front, side of, or directly accessible from the property
- in town centres or major commercial centres
- within road corridors at shopping centres
- in front of unoccupied properties where non-maintenance will result in a traffic or fire hazard and impact negatively on visual amenity; or
- have a swale, rain garden, overland flow path, open channel, drain or other stormwater asset within the berm
If residents/landowners are unable or unwilling to mow the grass berm, then Auckland Transport contractors will maintain it, on an as- and when-required basis to keep the grass at an acceptable length. The timing and frequency of this service is at the discretion of Auckland Transport and will vary depending on seasonal growth of the grass.
General information regarding berm maintenance
Concreting or paving a berm
- Berms cannot be covered by concrete or other impervious materials.
- Grass allows stormwater to soak into the ground and reduces the load on the city's stormwater system.
- Utility services such as water, internet, phone and electrical cables may be located under the berm and easy access is needed for maintenance and repair.
- Previous councils may have planted berms with trees which are compatable with services and drainage. Concrete surfaces would compromise the health of these trees.
Private planting on berms
Residents are not permitted to plant on berms. On rare occasions permission may be given but this requires an application to Auckland Transport for a licence specific to their circumstances. Read Auckland Transport's Encroachment Policy.
Responsibilities for berms
- Retirement village - The owner should make arrangements for mowing.
- Building with a body corporate - The body corporate arranges mowing.
- Block of flats - Residents in common should make mowing arrangements.
- Townhouse - Residents who share a berm should make arrangements.
- Cross-leased property - owners sharing the berm should arrange mowing.
- Tenants - agree with your landlord about mowing.
- Landlords - agree with your tenants who is responsible.
Or mail your request to: Auckland Transport General, Private Bag 92250, Auckland 1142.
If you wish to file a complaint regarding this recent policy change, please contact your local board who will be able to raise the matter with Auckland Council on your behalf.
Maintenance considerations for all footpaths will:
- Ensure the Asset Management Plan will recognise the life of each footpath design and location and provide for adequate funding for maintenance and renewal programmes;
- Enforce the requirements for quality reinstatement of surfaces following development in or access to the street environment (in accordance with the Condition for Use of the Street by Utility Operators);
- Implement 'sectioning' of the footpath asset to ensure quality reinstatement. This involves the identification of sections of footpath of a designated area. Work undertaken within a section, would then involve complete reinstatement of the entire section, rather than a patch. This technique reduces the 'patchwork' appearance and maximises pedestrian safety and amenity;
- Ensure all future footpath upgrade or renewal works are recorded on a Geographic Information System to improve monitoring and programming of future footpath works. This includes footpath works by private developers and utility companies.
Footpath upgrade programme for Central Auckland
The footpaths on the upgrade schedule (below) have been selected for replacement during the 2013/14 financial year.
This schedule has the most up-to-date information available at the time of publication, however, changes may occur if other work is delayed or if other factors such as a change in budget, or inclement weather, affect the programme.
The table below lists streets that are scheduled for renewal up to the end of May 2014 and is subject to change.
|Street name||Start point||End point|
|ARANUI RD||Mt Wellington Highway||Ruawai Rd|
|ARTHUR ST (ONEHUNGA)||Galway St||Onehunga Mall RAB|
|ARTHUR ST (ONEHUNGA)||Onehunga Mall RAB||Beachcroft Rd|
|AUGUSTUS TCE||Parnell Rise||Parnell Rd|
|BADDELEY AVE||Melanesia Rd||Allum St|
|BERESFORD SQ||Pitt St||Hopetoun St|
|BOYCE AVE||Penny Ave (east)||Penny Ave (west)|
|BRENTON PL||Kepa Rd||End|
|BRISBANE ST (SOUTH)||Dean St||Keppel St|
|CADMAN AVE (GREENLANE)||Garland Rd||Cul-de-sac|
|CHRISTIE ST||May Rd||Roseman Ave|
|CHURCH ST EAST (SOUTHDOWN)||Gt South Rd||Rail xing|
|CLIVE RD||Normanby Rd||Mountain Rd|
|COATES CRES||Pilkington Rd||Pilkington Rd|
|COURT CRES||Pilkington Rd||Pilkington Rd|
|DENNY AVE||May Rd||Stoddard Rd|
|DUNCAN AVE||Mt Albert Rd||Haverstock Rd|
|EDGERLEY AVE||Manukau Rd||End|
|FORBES ST||Trafalgar St||Arthur St|
|GARDEN RD (REMUERA)||Remuera Rd||End|
|GREAT NORTH RD||Commercial Rd||St Joseph's School|
|GREAT NORTH RD||#497 Gt North Rd||Bond St|
|GREAT NORTH RD||St Joseph's School||Gt North Rd shops|
|GREENPARK RD||Gt South Rd||#20 Greenpark Rd|
|HAIG AVE||Hardley Ave||Renfrew Ave|
|HERBERT RD||Dominion Rd||Rarawa St|
|HILLSDALE RD||Hillsborough Rd||End|
|HOME ST (EAST)||Home Street (west)||Kirk St|
|HOPETOUN ST||Beresford St||Pitt St|
|HOWE ST (CITY)||K' Rd||Hopetoun St|
|JASPER AVE||Mons Ave||Mons Ave|
|KAHU RD||Te Koa Rd||End|
|KAPUNI RD||Te Koa Rd||End|
|KAY RD (PANMURE)||Tunis Rd||Tripoli Rd|
|KELSEY CRES||Hillsborough Rd||End|
|KEPPELL ST||Waima St||King St|
|KIRK ST (GREY LYNN/NORTH)||Gt North Rd||Keppel St|
|LAMBETH RD||Kiwitea St||Dominion Rd|
|LEYS CRES||Shera Rd||Scherff Rd|
|MALVERN RD (MORNINGSIDE)||Western Springs Rd||Rocky Nook Ave|
|MANUKAU RD||Kimberley Rd||Empire Rd|
|MARUA RD (ELLERSLIE)||Harris Rd||Lunn Ave|
|MAURANUI AVE||St Marks Rd||Gt South Rd|
|MAYBURY ST||Line Rd||Dalton St|
|MAYS RD||Church St||Rail xing|
|MELANESIA RD||Long Dr||Allum St|
|MITCHELSON ST||Motorway underpass||Walpole St|
|MONAGHAN AVE||Guardwell Tce||End|
|MORNINGSIDE DR||Sainsbury Rd||St Lukes Rd|
|MT ALBERT RD (THREE KINGS)||Parau St||Scout Ave|
|MT EDEN RD||Valley Rd||View Rd|
|NGAPAWA ST||Lancing Rd||End|
|NORMANS HILL RD||Arthur St||Quadrant Rd|
|ORAKEI RD||Remuera Rd||Komaru Rd|
|ORAKEI RD||Shore Rd RAB||Railway Overbridge|
|PARK GATE AVE||Malvern Rd||End|
|Parrish Rd||Sandringham Rd||Eldon Rd|
|PEACH PDE||Rotomahana Terrace||Ladies Mile|
|PLAYFAIR RD||Freeland Ave||Start + 50m|
|POTO ST||Upland Rd||Raumati Rd|
|PURIRI AVE||Wheturangi Rd||Gt South Rd|
|RAUMATI RD||Benson Rd||Kitirawa Rd|
|ROCKFIELD RD||Great South Rd||Oranga Ave|
|ROCKFIELD RD||Oranga Ave||Edmonton Ave|
|ROCKFIELD RD||Edmonton Ave||Mt Smart Rd|
|ROCKY NOOK AVE||New North Rd||End|
|SAVAGE ST||Old Mill Rd||End|
|SCARBOROUGH LANE||Parnell Rd||Parnell Tce|
|SCARBOROUGH TCE||Ruskin St||End|
|SELBOURNE ST (NORTH)||Firth Rd||End|
|SHERA RD (EAST)||PORTLAND RD (+4 m)||LEYS CRES|
|SHERA RD (WEST)||BELL RD||Sump at LEYS CRES|
|SHERIDAN LANE (incl walkway)||Hepburn St||End|
|SPEIGHT RD||Averill Ave||Long Dr|
|SPRINGFIELD RD||#5 Springfield Rd||Mountain View Rd|
|ST HELIERS BAY RD||Riddell Rd||Long Dr|
|ST MARKS RD||Remuera Rd||Motorway|
|ST STEPHENS AVE||Takutai St||Lichfield Rd|
|SUFFOLK ST||Virginia Ave West||End|
|TENNYSON ST||Volcanic St||Dominion Rd|
|TRIPOLI RD||Tobruk Rd||Alamein Rd|
|VOLCANIC ST||Wiremu St||End|
|WILKINSON RD||Main Highway Ext||End|
|WINN RD||RHS ONLY|
|WOLSELEY ST||New North Rd||End|
Footpath renewal schedule for Auckland West 2012-2013
The footpaths on the renewal schedule have been identified as needing repair or replacement.
The schedule has the most up-to-date information available at the time of publication, however, changes may occur if other work is delayed or if other factors affect the programme.
The table below lists streets in Auckland West that are scheduled for maintenance up to June 2013.
|Atkinson Rd (>909)||New Lynn||April|
|Atkinson Rd (909>)||New Lynn||April|
|Brigham Creek Rd||Massey||February|
|Captain Scott Rd (nos 75-87)||New Lynn||April|
|Dolbear St||New Lynn||January|
|Glendene Ave||New Lynn||January|
|Glengarry Rd (1935-2731)||Waitakere||March|
|Glenorchy St||New Lynn||December|
|Golf Rd||New Lynn||May|
|Holmes Dr South||Massey||April|
|Kamara Rd||New Lynn||January|
|Kaponga Cres||New Lynn||November|
|Karina Pl||New Lynn||April|
|Karo Pl||New Lynn||May|
|Kotinga Ave||New Lynn||May|
|Otitori Bay Rd (912>)||Waitakere||April|
|Pisces Rd||New Lynn||February|
|Puketitiro St||New Lynn||May|
|Rerewai Pl||New Lynn||May|
|Robert Burke Pl||Henderson||March|
|Royal View Rd||Henderson||March|
|Sabulite Rd (>531)||New Lynn||February|
|Scotstoun Pl||New Lynn||April|
|Sel Peacock Dr||Henderson||December|
|South Titirangi Rd (>1626)||Waitakere||April|
|Waikumete Rd||New Lynn||February|
|West Harbour Dr||Massey||November|
|White Heron Dr||Massey||November|
|Woolley Ave||New Lynn||January|