Consultation status: closed 15 February 2018
Proposal reference: BYL-214
We propose to install broken yellow lines (No stopping at all times restrictions) along bends at two locations on Aldersgate Road in Hillsborough. At both locations, the broken yellow lines will be installed on both sides of the road.
The implementation of this proposal will reduce visibility issues resulting from vehicles parking along these stretches of road.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
- Requests to extend broken yellow lines along the entirety of Aldersgate Road. This proposal aims to address the most significant visibility issues along Aldersgate Road by placing broken yellow lines where they will have the most impact. Extending broken yellow lines along the entire road would result in unnecessary parking loss.
- Requests to install more broken yellow lines: (a) along the first bend on Aldersgate Road, (b) at various points between Site 1 and Site 2, (c) through to Hames Terrace, including the cul-de-sac, and (d) along Ben James Drive.
(a) The first bend along Aldersgate Road has existing indented parking bays along the eastern side of the road; visibility issues here are considered relatively minor. Therefore, installation of broken yellow lines along this bend would not provide significant benefits.
(b) The most significant visibility issues occur along the bends identified in this proposal. Installation of broken yellow lines at these points will ensure that there is sufficient forward visibility on the approach to each bend.
(c) Hames Terrace is of sufficient width to allow parking along both sides of the road and to maintain a clear through lane.
(d) Auckland Transport will investigate parking demand and operational issues along Ben James Drive in the near future. However, at present, this falls outside of the current project proposal.
- Concern that the current proposal does not extend far enough and that there will continue to be access issues for emergency service vehicles and other large vehicles. Auckland Transport will continue to monitor operational and safety issues along Aldersgate Road.
- Concern that, as a result of parked cars, vehicles often cross over the centre line at high speeds. The current proposal allows adequate space for vehicles to remain on their side of the road as they approach the bends.
- Observations that vehicles often mount footpaths and berms to manoeuvre around oncoming traffic, posing safety hazards to pedestrians. There is sufficient room at most points to give way to oncoming traffic. This proposal aims to improve forward visibility at the bends along Aldersgate Road.
- Requests additional works include:
- Recommendations to install additional indented parking bays along Aldersgate Road.
- Requests to widen Aldersgate Road.
- Request that Auckland Council include more mandatory off-street parking in the development and resource consenting processes.
At this time, widening the road and installing additional parking bays are out of the scope of this proposal. However, these may be reviewed by Auckland Transport at a later stage. This proposal focuses on installation of broken yellow lines along Aldersgate Road in Hillsborough. If you would like your request to be considered by AT for future development works, please fill in our feedback form or report a problem to be fixed.
We expect to introduce this work between July 2018 and June 2019, subject to further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will notify all affected residents prior to construction work.