Arthur Street, Onehunga - P120 Restrictions Arthur Street, Onehunga - P120 Restrictions
Proposal status: Feedback closed 30 April 2019. Last updated 26 July 2019
Reference number: RTV-217
We proposed changes in your area
In April 2019, we proposed to install 5 metres of broken yellow lines and introduce P120 parking restrictions from Monday to Sunday, 8am to 6pm on Arthur Street in Onehunga.
Download the proposal drawing for Arthur Street (PDF 579KB)
Why the changes are needed
These changes are expected to improve parking opportunities for visitors to the area. Currently, this service lane is for long term parking, making parking difficult for visitors to the area and the local businesses.
This project will proceed with minor changes to the next stage of detailed planning. As a result of public consultation, the Broken Yellow Lines will extend further back by approximately 28 metres, instead of the proposed 5 metres, into the lane. This will allow cars parked in the angle parking opposite to reverse out unobstructed. In addition to this, a new P5 Loading Zone (Monday to Sunday, 8am to 6pm) will be placed at the beginning of the new parking bay. Please see the updated drawing below.
Download the updated proposal drawing for Arthur Street (PDF 518KB)
Thank you to everyone who submitted feedback. A summary of this feedback and answers to community questions and concerns is below.
This proposal received positive responses from community members and stakeholders who supported the new P120 Parking Restrictions on Arthur Street, Onehunga.
- Respondent concerned that people working in the area will have less opportunity for long term parking. Auckland Transport believe that the Onehunga township has enough parking and a good variety of on street and off-street parking to accommodate the amount of people visiting the area. Parking is open to all visitors to the area on first come basis.
- Respondent concerned that there is not enough parking for customers of local businesses. Arthur Street is within walking distance to Gerrard Beeson Place car park, which provides plenty of off street parking for shoppers in the area. Alternatively, customers can park along Onehunga Mall or along Arthur Street. Parking is open to all visitors to the area on first come basis.
- Respondent requested to make these parks Tow Away for non-customers. On-street parking is a valuable public asset and it cannot be reserved for a particular individual, business or organisation. Parking is open to all visitors to the area on first come basis.
- Respondent requested to extend existing time limit for parking in front of shops, from 30 minutes to 60 minutes. The P30 parking restrictions are required to encourage parking turnover and provide visitors to the area with adequate parking opportunities. We will not be changing the restrictions for these parking spaces at this time.
- Concerns that cars parked along the fence line will reduce accessibility to angle parking in the lane. Related request to extend the Broken Yellow lines further down the lane. The proposal has been modified to extend the Broken Yellow Lines up to the last angle parking space. This will reduce any potential accessibility issues and increase the safety of the area.
- Concern that crossing the lane is dangerous for school children in the mornings and afternoons. The extension of Broken Yellow Lines will allow children to cross the lane safely, as cars will not be manoeuvring into and out of parking spaces next to the footpath. There is also an existing speed bump at the beginning of the lane, which will further increase the safety of the area.
- Request to make the proposed parking spaces into a loading zone. The proposal has been modified to include a P5 loading zone at the beginning of the proposed parking bay on the lane. The operating hours for this loading zone will be 8am to 6pm, Monday to Sunday.
This work will happen between September 2019 and March 2020, but we will let you know if there are further changes or delays.
Our contractors will send notices to affected residents 48-hours prior to construction starting.