Consultation status: closed 1 March 2018
Proposal reference: RTV-123
We are proposing to convert five paid parking spaces throughout Central Auckland to Car Share parking, where users are able to book a vehicle hourly through a website or app. Proposed locations are outlined below and in the attached proposal drawings:
- Chancery Street (2 spaces) - (PDF 281KB)
- Federal Street (1 spaces) - (PDF 85KB)
- Lorne Street (1 space) - (PDF 84KB)
- Wyndham Street (1 space) - (PDF 163KB)
We expect that this proposal will greatly benefit inner city residents and businesses by allowing a quick and convenient alternative to owning a personal vehicle, particularly for infrequent drivers. The Car Share Initiative reinforces Auckland Transport’s long-term vision of ultimately reducing car dependency and improving community health by providing infrastructure and services for walking, cycling, and ride sharing. It contributes to our efforts to deliver an effective and efficient transport system that enables Aucklanders to make smarter transport choices.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
- Concern that car share programs overseas have run into issues. We meet with the current provider on a regular basis to discuss operational issues; we are confident that any prospective issues can be resolved at these meetings.
- Suggestion that public parking city-wide should be free. This request is outside of the scope of this project. The Auckland Parking Strategy provides guidance on how Auckland Transport looks to manage street parking.
- Concern that acceptable methods of payment will change for public parking spaces with the new proposal. This proposal will have no impact on how customers can choose to pay for on-street parking whether through AT Park, cash or card.
- Concern that enforcement of car share parking would be prohibitive. Our parking wardens enforce shared vehicle spaces as a normal part of their compliance patrols.
- Requests additional works include:
- Request to install an additional car share space on Ash Street in Avondale.
- Request to install an additional car share space on Karangahape Road.
Although these requests are out of scope for this proposal, which focuses on installation of car share spaces on Chancery, Federal, Lorne, and Wyndham Streets in Central Auckland, we can suggest these locations to the current provider. If you would like your request to be considered by us for future development works, please provide feedback here.
Chancery Street – Specific Feedback
- Concern that removal of public parking will negatively impact businesses in the Chancery Street area. The proposal will remove 2 on-street parking spaces from those available for general parking. There are a number of options for on- and off-street parking available in the vicinity that should be able to accommodate customers to Chancery Street businesses.
- Request to move proposed car share spaces in front of office buildings or to similar areas that do not rely as heavily on foot traffic. The proposed spaces have been generated with discussions from City Hop who know where demand is the highest. We will pass on your comments to City Hop so that they can consider office locations in the future.
Federal Street – Specific Feedback
- Concern that removal of parking will encourage drivers to illegally double park, contributing to congestion along Federal Street. The removal of parking or a change in parking restrictions is not an excuse to park illegally. This is enforceable. Please contact AT enforcement on 09 355 3553 should you observe double parking in the future.
We expect to introduce this work between July 2018 and June 2019, subject to further changes in design or funding issues.
Contractors will issue 48-hour notices to all affected residents prior to construction work.