Consultation status: closed 30 January 2018
Proposal reference: VMS003-1
We are proposing to install an electronic variable message sign as per the consultation drawing.
Why the changes are needed
- This sign will help to improve event management; and incident management capabilities across Auckland's road network.
- The signage will provide real-time travel updates and therefore will provide a better experience for road users.
This project will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning. A summary of the community feedback we received and answers to questions and concerns is below.
- Request to have trees trimmed regularly to keep this sign visible. This issue has been noted and we will ensure that tree growth and foliage will not block the visibility of the sign.
- Request to remove the flexi-posts along the kerb to be less of a distraction for drivers. These flexi-posts have been installed as an extra safety measure to make sure that double decker buses steer clear of the trees. We will not be making changes to these flexi-posts as part of this project.
- Concern that the variable message sign will add clutter to the road. Our investigations suggest that this is the best location for the sign, but we have attempted to minimize all additional on-street elements where possible.
- A request to have the signs notify members of the public to reduce noise during late night hours. The variable message signs are oriented towards road users, rather than pedestrians or passers-by. They will not be used to communicate messages to anyone other than drivers who will see real-time travel updates or information about events in the central city that might affect their travel.
This work will happen by the end of August 2018, but we will let you know if there are further changes or delays. Our contractors will send notices to affected residents 48-hours prior to construction starting.