Consultation status: open until 30 April 2017
We are proposing to:
- Realign the right turn lane from Beach Road into Churchill Street.
- Relocate the bus stop and install road markings.
- Install a new flush median and new raised centre traffic island on Beach Road from the intersection of Churchill Street and Stanley Street/The Strand.
- Change the kerb line and relocate the street light to increase the lane width.
- Install new, and revised road and lane markings.
- Change the kerbing, reconstruct the footpath and relocate speed cushions outside 165 and 167 Beach Road.
Why the changes are needed
Bus and heavy vehicle operators have raised concerns about the right turn lanes on Beach Road on approach to Stanley Street. Our investigations show the width of these lanes can create a pinch point and increase the chance of a collision between heavy vehicles. The proposed changes will realign these lanes and provide all vehicles with a safer right turn movement.
Changes to the western kerb and footpath are needed as a consequence of the lane realignment to ensure pedestrian and cycling safety is continued on this section of Beach Road.
If you would like to post in your feedback, download and print our feedback form template, fill in your details and send it freepost using the address details on the form.