Consultation status: closed 30 April 2017
We are proposing to:
- Realign the right turn lane from Beach Road into Churchill Street.
- Relocate the bus stop and install road markings.
- Install a new flush median and new raised centre traffic island on Beach Road from the intersection of Churchill Street and Stanley Street/The Strand.
- Change the kerb line and relocate the street light to increase the lane width.
- Install new, and revised road and lane markings.
- Change the kerbing, reconstruct the footpath and relocate speed cushions outside 165 and 167 Beach Road.
Why the changes are needed
Bus and heavy vehicle operators have raised concerns about the right turn lanes on Beach Road on approach to Stanley Street. Our investigations show the width of these lanes can create a pinch point and increase the chance of a collision between heavy vehicles. The proposed changes will realign these lanes and provide all vehicles with a safer right turn movement.
Changes to the western kerb and footpath are needed as a consequence of the lane realignment to ensure pedestrian and cycling safety is continued on this section of Beach Road.
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed with minor changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
- Concern that heavy vehicles are using Beach Road. Beach Road is an arterial road and an important link to the CBD from the motorway and Parnell. This road supports businesses and construction works in the CBD and it is important to retain access for all road users.
- Question whether the changes will seriously affect the cycle lane or footpath. The pedestrian and cycle provision will remain relatively the same with this proposal.
- Suggestion that the right turn lane into Churchill Road be removed or reduced in width. We have reviewed this entry and retaining the existing vehicle provisions was seen as appropriate for the long term use of this location.
- Request for additional works including a pedestrian crossing on the slip lane across Stanley Street. If you would like your request to be considered by AT for future development works, provide feedback here.
We expect to introduce this work throughout 2017/2018, subject to any further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will issue 48-hour notice to all residents in the area prior to starting construction work.