Consultation status: closed 8 December 2017
Proposal reference: RTV-118
We are proposing to install P120 parking restrictions, 8am-6pm, Monday-Friday, along one side of Bellevue Road and one side of Horoeka Avenue. We are not proposing to offer residential parking permits associated with these changes.
Parking occupancy during the week on these streets is over 85% occupied. Due to the fact that parking here is currently unrestricted, many vehicles were parked the whole day to access the busy commercial area in Mount Eden, as well as commuters accessing nearby bus and train services.
The proposed restrictions will increase availability and ensure parking turnover, meaning residents, their visitors and the wider community will be able to use the spaces.
In November 2017, we sought feedback on the proposal to install P120 parking restrictions 8am-6pm, Monday to Friday, along one side of Bellevue Road and one side of Horoeka Avenue, Mount Eden. No residential parking permits were included in this proposal.
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. 42% of residents only wanted the changes implemented if there is also a residential parking permit scheme introduced. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed with significant changes to the next stage of detailed planning. The changes are included in the updated consultation drawing.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
- Request for residential parking permits to be introduced. Unfortunately, AT can only consider parking permits for the residents when Residents Parking Zone are introduced. Due to funding and resourcing constraints, we are unable to introduce a residential parking scheme in this location at the present time, however, we will include this area in our programmed works schedule. At this stage it would be difficult to commit to a timeframe as our programme is very dependent on the delivery of the preceding proposals. The purpose of the proposal consulted on was to act as an interim measure prior to the introduction of resident parking permits, however, overwhelming feedback was that the parking restrictions should not be introduced in full until the Residents Parking Zone could be introduced. Therefore, we have decided to limit the areas where the parking restrictions are in operation.
- Request for both sides of the road to be restricted parking. Feedback received indicates that the majority of residents only want restrictions if residential parking permits are offered as well, and as these cannot be guaranteed at this time, we have decided to proceed as follows:
- Install P120 (Mon-Fri, 8am to 6pm) time restriction on one side of Bellevue Road, outside numbers 48, 50 (the doctors’ surgery) and 52.
- Install P120 (Mon-Fri, 8am to 6pm) time restriction on the southern side of Bellevue Road between Sherbourne Road and Horoeka Avenue (including outside the Dean Greenwood Swim Centre at 36 Bellevue Road).
These time restrictions will encourage turnover, and improve parking availability for visitors of both businesses and residents of the area.
- Requests for additional works include the removal of a cycleway and for angle parking to be reintroduced. These requests are out of scope for this proposal which focuses on parking restrictions on Bellevue Road and Horoeka Avenue in Mount Eden. If you would like your request to be considered by AT for future development works, please fill our feedback form.
We expect to introduce this work between July 2018 and June 2019 subject to any further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will notify all affected residents prior to construction work.