Gore Street, Central Auckland – Parking restrictions Gore Street, Central Auckland – Parking restrictions
Proposal status: updated 24 October 2018
Reference number: RTV-181
We're proposing changes in your area
We are proposing changes to parking restrictions on Gore Street, including removal of the former bus stop and bus parking and replacement with:
- paid public parking on the eastern kerb which would apply Monday to Sunday, 8 am to 10 pm.
- a P5 Loading Zone on the western kerb which would also operate Monday to Sunday, 8 am to 10 pm. Outside of those hours, the loading zone would revert to a taxi stand at all other times.
Download the proposal drawing for Gore Street (PDF 441KB)
Why the changes are needed
These changes are needed due to changes in the bus network, the existing bus facilities are no longer needed at this location. We believe that the proposal will better serve local businesses, their customers, and residents.
This project will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
A summary of the community feedback we received and answers to questions and concerns:
- Suggestion that on the western side of Gore St, no parking except where AT indicates P5 Loading Zone. The area to the north of the proposed Loading Zone is currently subject to construction work under a temporary resolution active until March 2020. The restriction is a P5 Loading Zone Monday to Sunday 8am to 6pm/Small Passenger Service Vehicle Stand At All Other Times.
- Suggestion where AT indicates P5 Loading Zone on western side of Gore St - P30 paid car parking. As part of its strategic direction as set out in the Auckland Parking Strategy, AT has removed time limits from paid parking as experience shows that it is easily avoided by various methods. Instead AT uses price to encourage parking availability.
- Suggestion on the eastern side of Gore St, no parking from White Rabbit to Gore Lane. There is currently a single space in this area which AT is aware is being abused by construction work. We will request that this area is checked by AT normal compliance patrols.
- Suggestion outside Harbour Oaks, half of the carparks be P10 Loading Zone Monday to Friday 8am to 10pm. The other half carparks P30 paid parking Monday to Friday 8am to 10pm. AT does not support short term timed parking restrictions within the city centre as they are ineffective in encouraging parking availability.
- Suggestion from Gore Lane to Fort Street on eastern side, (where AT intend to have proposed paid parking), half of carparks to be P10 unrestricted Loading Zone Monday to Friday 8am to 10pm. AT does not support short term timed parking restrictions within the CBD as they are ineffective in encouraging parking availability. In addition 10 minutes free parking is allowed within the paid parking zone.
- Suggestion that instead of paid parking, the Body Corporate proposes that there should be no parking on the Sofitel side of Gore Street. AT has not proposed paid parking on the Sofitel (west kerb) side of Gore Street. Parking in this area is currently prohibited by No Stopping controls.
- Respondent did not like the idea of having to pay for less than 5 minutes parking. 10 minutes free parking is permitted within the paid parking zone so you would not have to pay for 5 minutes parking.
- Suggestion that having paid street parking here simply means a small handfull (probably 4 cars) consistently occupying the space all day. This would only be the case if the correct fee had been paid. The parking zone operates a graduated tariff which becomes progressively more expensive the longer the vehicle remains parked, this encourages turnover.
- Suggestion that the Loading zone required for delivery trucks and small passenger vehicles, noting that it would usually take about 10 minutes to load or unload (5 minutes too short). The 5 minutes refers to the period a vehicle is left unattended while loading and unloading is occurring and is a standard time used across the city.
- Suggestion that outside Harbour Oaks hotel there should be an area for parking 10 minutes. As 10 minutes free parking is permitted within the paid parking zone AT does not support short term time restrictions in the city centre.
- Suggestion that the hotel/residential apartments at 16 Gore Street desperately needs a loading zone to replace the proposed paid parking. Also P30 paid is for general public including hotel guests (time for them to register and repark). This proposal includes a loading zone on the western kerb of Gore Street operating between 8am and 10pm. AT does not support time restrictions within the city centre as they are ineffective in encouraging parking availability. Paid parking facilitates the activity mentioned as would the loading zone which is part of this proposal.
- Suggestion the proposal does not address the need for a comprehensive plan for the whole area (ie Fort Street, Gore Street, Gore Lane, and Commerce street). This proposal is not designed to be a strategic plan but to make more effective use of limited on-street parking. The City Centre Master Plan or The Auckland Parking Strategy are the more appropriate plans detailing a strategic direction.
- Suggestion to widen the footpath instead of installing more parking. This would be part of a streetscape upgrade proposal for which there are currently no plans. We have also discussed this with the AT team responsible for footpath upgrades who have confirmed that this area is not part of their current programme but they have highlighted it for future investigation.
This work will happen in 3 to 6 months, but we will advise if there are further changes or delays. Our contractors will send notices to affected residents prior to construction starting.