Consultation status: closed 26 March 2018
Proposal reference: MCI1819-001
We are proposing to combine the current shared path and footpath into one multi-functional wider path.
This project involves smoothing out the transition from the northern end of the Waterview shared path to the intersection of Alford Street and Great North Road.
The main benefit is a smoother walk and cycle to the signalised intersection without sharp turns. Walkers and cyclists will no longer have to traverse down a narrow ramp.
This project has the support of the local board who are keen to improve the awkward transition that exists between the northern end of the Waterview path and Alford Street.
The proposal received positive feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed with minor changes to the next stage of detailed planning this will include adding a red banding as present in other places on Waterview shared path, to alert users to slow down as there is an upcoming intersection.
- Concern that noise from current road works at this location is disruptive to local residents. We have noted the concern around noise. These works will be undertaken off the road reserve, so most construction should happen during the daytime.
- Concerns that removal of the sharp turns will encourage cyclists and skateboarders to travel at high speeds, creating safety hazards for pedestrians. We will include red banding as present in other places on Waterview shared path to alert users to upcoming intersection, slowing them down.
- Request to install road markings to indicate to road users that this is a pedestrian and cycling crossing point. This will not be a shared pedestrian and cycle crossing. Pedestrians only. People on bikes will be expected to dismount to cross at the pedestrian crossing or ride cross on the road as a vehicle. A widened crossing to allow both pedestrians and cyclists was considered infeasible without major civil works, due to the narrow footpath on the northern side of Alford Street. A shared crossing would likely increase incidences of pedestrian/cycle conflict outside the dairy.
- Suggestion to encourage cyclists to utilise the crossing at Herdman Street rather than the crossing at Alford Street, as there is a shared cycle-pedestrian pathway at that location. We agree that it would be undesirable to encourage people on bikes to use this intersection to access shared path on western side of Great North Road. This path doesn’t start until Herdman Street, so this is where people on bikes should cross. We are currently looking into wayfinding for the Waterview Shared Path, and will take this into consideration.
- Request for additional works include:
- Request to separate cycleway from the footpath.
- Request to increase the size of the bus shelter.
- Request to install a designated cycling facility along Alford Street leading up to the intersection with Great North Road.
- Concerns that cyclists will encounter issues when attempting to cross Great North Road to reach Alford Street.
These requests are out of scope for this proposal which focuses on Waterview tie-in at Great North Road. If you would like your request to be considered by us for future development works, please provide feedback here.
We expect to introduce this work between July 2018 and June 2019, subject to further changes in design or funding issues.
Contractors will issue 48-hour notices to all affected residents prior to construction work.