Consultation status: closed 22 February 2017
We have identified an opportunity for improvements at the intersection of Great South Road, Church Street and the South Eastern Highway.
On the Great South Road northbound approach, we are proposing several modifications:
- Adding a through-lane heading north across the intersection.
- Converting the far right lane to right-turn only.
- Removing the left-turning slip lane and the signalised crosswalk across the slip-lane, and replacing these with a pedestrian zebra-crossing and give-way controls.
- Extending the length of the left-turn lane with a kerb cut-out and realignment of the footpath.
- Kerb buildout on southern corner of the intersection.
- Reconstructing the traffic island.
- New road markings.
Why the changes are required
Great South Road is a main freight route and carries a high volume of traffic. Due to this it becomes very congested at peak times causing significant queues and delays.
The aim of this proposal is to improve the performance of this intersection, for both the public and freight, particularly for northbound movement.