Consultation status: closed 7 February 2018
Proposal reference: BYL-207
We are proposing to install broken yellow lines on the southern side of Gregory Place, Mount Roskill, including the cul-de-sac.
These parking restrictions are needed to ensure vehicle access and turning space on this narrow road. Gregory Place is 6 metres wide and vehicles parked on both sides of the road are blocking access.
- Concerns that installation of broken yellow lines will remove street parking for residents, many of whom have limited off-street parking. When we visited the site, residents were observed to have sufficient off-street parking. This proposal aims to prevent access issues along Gregory Place.
- Suggestion that special parking permits be distributed to residents along Gregory Place. Because this is not a residential parking zone scheme area, we are unable to consider special parking permits for this street.
- Suggestion that broken yellow lines only be installed along the perimeter of the cul-de-sac to allow vehicles adequate turning space. On multiple site visits, vehicles were observed parking partially over the footpath to allow through traffic. We would like to discourage this behaviour as it poses a potential hazard to pedestrians.
- Recommendation that regular monitoring and enforcement will need to be conducted to ensure drivers adhere to current and proposed parking restrictions. We will monitor this once the broken yellow lines have been installed.
- Suggestion that there is ample space for vehicles to pass when cars are parked along Gregory Place and therefore broken yellow lines are unnecessary. Gregory Place is considered a narrow road, and it fails to allow 2.0 m parking on both sides with a 2.5 m through lane. We have proposed broken yellow lines to allow sufficient traffic flow.
- Queries as to why the current weekend parking restrictions are not sufficient. Current restrictions are not adequately addressing the issue, as vehicles frequently park along Gregory Place during weekdays and the weekend.
- Requests additional works that include:
- Tree trimming along Stamford Park Road near Gregory Place.
- Installation of “Give Way” road markings at the entrance to Gregory Place.
We expect to introduce this work between July 2018 and June 2019, subject to further changes in design or funding issues.
Contractors will issue 48-hour notices to all affected residents prior to construction work.