Consultation status: closed 14 April 2017
We are seeking feedback on a proposal to install 'No Stopping' time-restricted parking on the western side of Guyon Street and the eastern side of
The No Stopping restrictions would apply:
- Between 8.15am and 9.15am on school days.
- Between 2.30pm and 3.30pm on school days.
Why the changes are needed
The No Stopping restriction during school peak times to ease congestion and improve accessibility along the road.
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning. Please see our responses to feedback received from the community.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
- Suggestion to implement a one-way system. This suggestion was discussed at a meeting between AT representatives, school staff and parents. We recommended that formalising a one-way system around the school is not appropriate because:
1. We do not install timed restricted one-way systems as one-way systems operating at all times would be inefficient because the accessibility and pedestrian safety issues mostly occur during school peak times.
2. Traffic on these roads is both school-related and residential. A one-way system may create detours to get to specific destinations which may be inconvenient for residential traffic.
- The proposal will shift traffic to other roads. Whilst we acknowledge that the proposal may shift vehicles to other roads, parking further away from the school gate is preferred to promote a safer pedestrian environment for the people walking to school.
- Suggestion to provide alternative drop-off/pick-up areas. We are working with the school to implement a ‘Walking School Bus’, which will begin at the AMI Netball Centre on Alison Fergusson Drive. There is ample parking at the Netball Centre for parents/caregivers to drop off/pick up their children. Alternatively, there is on-street parking available beyond those roads immediately adjacent to the school.
- Parents/caregivers feel that they will have nowhere to park. We propose to timed restrict the residential side of Vialou Lane and Guyon Street only, and maintain the school side of these roads free for parking at all times. This will mean that parents/caregivers can still park on the school side of these streets to drop-off or pick-up passengers. As mentioned previously, alternative on-street parking is available on other roads further away from the school and at the AMI Netball Centre where people can use the soon-to-be-implemented ‘Walking School Bus’.
- The timed parking restriction will be inconvenient for residents. The ‘No Stopping’ parking restriction will only operate for short periods - between 8.15 and 9.15 in the morning and between 2.30 and 3.30 in the afternoon, during school days. Parking on both sides of Vialou Lane and Guyon Street will be available outside of those time frames. The access and visibility for drivers pulling into/out of residential driveways will also be improved since cars are not parked on the residents’ side during busy school peak times. Additionally, all local residents have off-street parking for two vehicles. The road is a public asset, available to all road users and road frontage is not for the exclusive use of the adjacent property owner.
- Alternative suggestions as listed below:
1. No stopping at all times parking restriction be installed along one side of Vialou Lane and Guyon Street. Vehicle accessibility and pedestrian safety issues mostly occur during school peak times. Therefore, this type of restriction is considered excessive and not appropriate.
2. Restricting access to vehicles. Roads are a public asset which are available for all road users, and are not generally closed unless there is a significant safety issue that needs to be mitigated.
3. Widening of the roads. Road widening would require taking a section from the footpath. Given that the footpath is a key pedestrian amenity around the school where there is high foot traffic, this option is not appropriate.
- Recommendation to install ‘No stopping at all times’ on the corners of Guyon Street/Tihi Street and Vialou Lane/Tihi Street intersections. We consulted on a separate proposal for ‘No stopping at all times’ at these locations and the school side of Tihi Street. The changes are likely to be implemented by July 2017.
- Requests for No stopping at all times to be installed along nearby roads. These requests are outside the scope of this proposal. If you would like your request to be considered by AT for future development works, provide feedback or report a problem here.
We expect to introduce this work by work by October 2017, subject to the legalisation of the parking restriction, contractor availability or funding. Contractors will issue 48-hour notice to all residents in the area prior to starting construction work.