Consultation status: closed 15 December 2016
We are proposing minor alterations to a pedestrian crossing at the Hayr Road/Carr Road intersection.
Changes would include:
- A cross-through space in the refuge island.
- The relocation of pram crossings.
- The installation of tactile pavers.
- Slight relocation of the give way sign.
Why the changes are required
We are aiming to increase pedestrian safety, especially for people utilising the pram crossings.
Large numbers of students exiting the nearby schools will also have a more suitable location to cross Hayr Road on their way home.
Download the Hayr Road consultation plans (PDF 841KB)
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received positive feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
- Request for pedestrian crossing facilities on the other three approaches to the roundabout. At this stage, the proposal only includes a pedestrian crossing on one approach as we cannot provide safe midpoints on the other three approaches to the roundabout.
- Request for a raised pedestrian zebra crossing on Hayr Road before the roundabout. The site of this proposal does not meet the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) requirements for a zebra crossing.
- Concern that pedestrians will need to walk behind cars stopped at the roundabout. This is the standard design for pedestrian crossings at roundabouts. Relocation of the crossing would also be inconsistent with the pedestrian desire line.
- Request for the pedestrian refuge island to be enlarged. At this stage, there is not sufficient space to enlarge the refuge island, due to the use of this route by heavy vehicles.
- Request to make this a pedestrian priority crossing. The site of this proposal does not meet the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) requirements for a pedestrian priority crossing.
- Request for additional works including the removal of this roundabout and the roundabout outside Mt Roskill Grammar School, to be replaced with traffic lights. These requests are outside the scope of this proposal. If you would like your request to be considered by AT for future development works, please provide feedback or report a problem here.
We expect to introduce this work by June 2017, subject to any further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will issue a 48-hour notice to all residents in the area prior to starting construction work.