Consultation status: closed 25 August 2017
Proposal reference: RTV-073
We are proposing new time limits to parking in Kalmia Street and Sultan Street in Ellerslie. Changes include:
- P2 8am to 9am & 2.30pm to 3.30pm (school days only), P60 at other times, on Kalmia St.
- P15 8am to 9am & 2.30pm to 3.30pm (school days only), P60 at other times, on Sultan St.
- New P60 parking on Sultan St.
Why the changes are needed
The new parking limits aim to:
- Streamline student pick-up & drop-off at Ellerslie Primary School during term-time.
- Expand short-term parking options for businesses in the area.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
- Concern that P2 parking does not allow enough time to drop-off or pick-up children that need to be walked to and from the classroom. Our proposal to establish P2 parking during school pick-up and drop-off times intends to keep the school gates clear of congestion during peak traffic periods in the morning and afternoon. The aim is to allow some parents to stop briefly in the P2 zone and drop-off/pick-up children who can walk to and from the school. Alternatively, we have set aside a P15 zone in Sultan Street to allow parents of children that require an adult to accompany them into the classroom longer time to park and safely access the school.
- Requests to change the proposed parking time limits on Kalmia Street, include:
- Changing the P2 to P5 parking to allow more time for school pick-up/drop-off;
- Changing the proposed P2 to P10;
- Retaining the P2 parks directly outside the main school entrance, but changing the rest of Kalmia Street to P15;
- Changing all of Kalmia Street to P15 parking;
- Changing P2 to P3 parking before and after the bus stops on Kalmia Street.
We have considered these suggestions in detail and reviewed the feasibility of making these changes to our proposed design. We have concluded that the proposed P2 parking on Kalmia Street is necessary to keep the school gates clear from traffic congestion during peak traffic periods. The main aim of our proposal is to allow some parents to drop-off/pick-up children quickly, thereby reducing traffic congestion and dangerous conflicts between double-parked cars outside the school gate. We believe that a mix of P2 parking next to the school and P15 parking in Sultan Street is the best way to achieve this.
- Requests to limit short-term pick-up/drop-off parking to 8:30-8:45am and 2:45-3pm, closer to “school bell” hours. Respondents were concerned that the proposed changes will affect pick-up/drop-off at 8am, which is reported to be problem-free. The proposed P2 timeframes (8 -9am and 2.30-3.30pm) are intended to address peak traffic periods in the morning and do not directly match school opening/closing hours . We cannot reduce the short-term parking timeframe without affecting road traffic volumes during these hours.
- Requests for short-term pick-up/drop-off parking on the opposite side of Kalmia Street. There suggestion is that parents wanting to travel in the opposite direction may engage in dangerous U-turns after dropping their children at the school gates. We feel that establishing short-term pick-up/drop-off areas opposite school will not be a safe option for students. We want to avoid having unaccompanied school children dropped off on the opposite side of the road and navigating traffic to enter the school gates. We also believe that short-term pick-up/drop-off areas opposite the school will increase traffic congestion at peak hours.
- Concern that there is not enough physical road space to accommodate the P2 parking scheme. We can confirm that the P2 parking zone we have allocated along on Kalmia Street will be ample space to service the area. We also expect the P2 turnaround time to work well within this space, in coordination with parking enforcement around the pick-up/drop-off scheme.
- Suggestions that bus stops on Kalmia Street are causing parking problems, including requests to convert these stops to short-term parking. These bus stops meet the needs of school busses and we cannot remove them without affecting their ability to service the school.
- Requests for a mobility park closer to the school. The school carpark includes 2 off-street mobility car parking spaces that we believe are sufficient to service the school.
Parking in the school carpark
- Requests and suggestions regarding the school car park include:
- Request for a designated pick-up/drop-off zone similar to an airport;
- Request for a shelter at the main school entrance for waiting children;
- Requests for 5 parks in the school carpark for the most recent new starters.
We have no authority to make changes to private, off-street car parking spaces. In our discussions with Ellerslie Primary School we have passed these requests on, but have no means to implement them.
Sultan Street parking
- Requests to change the proposed P60 parking on Sultan Street to P15. This request will not be incorporated in our plans because we need to retain the P60 parking to accommodate local business, customers and school parents who require more time to visit the school.
- Requests to change all car parks on Sultan Street to P30. We believe that the balance of P15 and P30 parking in our proposal is the best way to accommodate the needs of the school, local businesses and their customers.
- Request to retain the unrestricted parking (no time limits) on Sultan St. Our proposal retains unrestricted parking at the southern end of Sultan Street. We believe that this mix of P15, P60 and unrestricted parking strikes the best balance for needs of those on Sultan Street.
General parking concerns
- Requests to make all carparks in the area P60. The main aim of our proposal is to keep the Ellerslie school gate clear from traffic congestion by establishing a P2 drop-off zone. We believe that the additional P15 and P60 time restrictions strike a balance that also meets the parking needs of local businesses and their customers.
- Request for short-term parking during the day to accommodate occasional appointments and daytime activities of school students. The P60 parking can still be utilised for these activities.
- Concern that P60 will not be adequate for those attending meetings in the area. P60 parking restrictions are intended to encourage higher turn-over of parking spaces, making a greater number of spaces available throughout the day.
- Request for clarity on proposed parking time restrictions during the weekend. Weekend hours for time-restricted parking on Kalmia and Sultan Streets is P60 8am - 6pm.
- Concern that there are insufficient carparks for commuters in the area, including requests for a Park & Ride at Ellerslie Train Station. While we appreciate the high commuter demand to park in this area, there is not adequate on-street capacity for dedicated parking facility on Kalmia or Sultan streets.
- Concern that there are insufficient carparks for local workers in the area. We appreciate this concern, but many businesses in this area have private carparks for staff and our proposal still retains some unrestricted car parking for casual use.
- Concern that school parents are parking in private business carparks. We have no authority to make changes or enforce restrictions in private carparks. Our proposal intends to improve the ability for parents to drop-off/pick-up their children from the school and this may also alleviate carpark problems for local businesses.
- Request for visible and consist enforcement of proposed short-term parking at school, including concerns that P2 parking will not be observed in the afternoon when parents wait for their children to leave the school. Once this parking scheme is implemented, we will work closely with the school to enforce parking times and encourage turnover in the P2 pick-up/drop-off zone.
- Request for greater enforcement of commuter parking. For any problems with prohibited we recommend regularly reporting infringements to our parking enforcement call centre, which operates 24 hours, 7 days a week: 09 355 3553.
Out of scope requests
- Request for greater controls on drivers who travel through the nearby pedestrian crossing on red and orange lights. New Zealand Police are responsible for traffic infringements. Reports of bad driving can be made through their website.
- Request for roundabouts on Kalmia Street at the intersections of Sultan and Stanway Streets so parents can drop their children and turn around. This request is out of scope for this proposal which focuses specifically on parking time restrictions. If you would like your request to be considered by us for future development works, please provide feedback here
We expect to introduce this work by the end of June 2018, subject to further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will issue 48-hour notices to all affected residents prior to construction work.