Consultation status: closed 30 March 2018
Proposal reference: MIP1718-020
Auckland Transport proposed to install a new signalised mid-block pedestrian crossing with pram crossings and tactile pavers on Khyber Pass Road, to the east of York Street. The proposed changes include:
- Slight curb line extension on the northern side of Khyber Pass Road.
- Mobility parking relocation.
- Relocation of existing catch-pits.
- Installation of new broken yellow lines (no stopping at all times restrictions) resulting in a loss of approximately 4 parking spaces.
- Reconstruction of traffic island on the southern side to provide a cut through for the crossing.
- New flush road markings to narrow the westbound lane.
Why the changes are needed
High volumes of pedestrians have been observed crossing Khyber Pass Road at this location. The new facilities will provide a safe place for pedestrians to cross the road and the flush markings are to stop westbound drivers from forming two queues before the crossing.
The proposal received positive feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed with minor changes to the next stage of detailed planning included in the final design plan.
- Request that the loading bay area at 481-487 Khyber Pass Road is kept in place. This proposal will not be impacting any loading zones.
- Suggestion for speed bumps. This street does not currently warrant speed calming measures. It is currently operating relatively safely and does not require changing the priority. We will however be upgrading the existing crossing facilities to be compliant with our standards.
- Request for cyclist advance stop boxes. We will install a cycle advance stop box on the westbound lane.
- Concern over traffic flow and congestion (too many lights within a short distance; queuing cars eastbound will block cars turning right from Kingdon Street. We will install a 'keep clear' box to make it easier for cars to exit Kingdon Street. Pedestrian crossing demand and crash data warrants a signalised pedestrian crossing at this location. Our modelling shows that the impact the signals have on traffic congestion here is acceptable and not of concern.
- Request for a crossing outside the Newmarket Campus opposite the old Lion Brewery as there is no crossing anywhere between Mountain Road and Gillies Avenue (the entire length of the campus); suggests crossing at McColl Street. This request is out of scope for this proposal which focuses on a pedestrian crossing on Khyber Pass Road, Newmarket. If you would like your request to be considered by AT for future development works, please fill in a feedback form or report a problem to be fixed.
We expect to introduce this work between July 2018 and June 2019, subject to further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will issue notices to all affected residents prior to construction work.