Consultation status: closed 2 June 2017
We have identified a location on Kitchener Street where we believe the provision of parking spaces for car share vehicles would be beneficial.
This proposal will reduce the number of general paid parking spaces from five to three. As the Victoria Street car park building is immediately opposite this location, the impact would be minor.
We are proposing to create two parking spaces with the following restriction:
- Shared vehicles only, at all times. This would apply 24 hours a day, every day.
Why the changes are needed
We are actively supporting the Car Share initiative currently operating in Auckland as it supports a number of our goals:
- Reduce car dependency and improve community health by providing infrastructure and services for walking, riding and cycling sharing.
- Deliver an effective and efficient transport system that enables Aucklanders to make smarter transport choices.
The concept of car share involves the provision of cars in select locations that can be booked through a website or phone and paid per hour. This has proven beneficial for inner city residents and businesses that don’t necessarily need to own a car but may find one useful from time to time.
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
- Concern about loss of on street parking. While this proposal removes two on-street parking spaces we feel that this is a minor impact as other on-street parking is available on Kitchener Street and off-street parking buildings in close proximity.
- Suggestion to provide support for removing more CBD parking. We only consider the removal of general on-street parking where the alternative contributes to specific objectives which assist in delivering effective and efficient transport solutions.
- Suggestion to give support for increased parking charges. We operate a policy of demand response pricing. This policy ensures parking occupancy is regularly reviewed and tariffs adjusted in line with the Auckland Parking Strategy.
- Concern that AT will lose revenue by removing 2 paid space. Car share schemes contributes to ATs wider strategic objectives and therefore we do not view this proposal as a loss of revenue.
- Concern over support of a private business. We have a signed memorandum of understanding with the current provider of the car share scheme. While the on-street spaces might be allocated to approved car share vehicles, the spaces remain in AT control.
- Question whether this is a duplication of existing spaces. To date, we have proposed single car share spaces, however on this occasion there is sufficient demand to justify the provision of two spaces in the area.
- Request that City HOP be allocated more spaces in the CBD. We are working closely with the car share provider to identify where car share spaces are beneficial to customers of the scheme.
We expect to introduce this work starting in 2017 and throughout 2017/2018, subject to any further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will issue 48-hour notice to all residents in the area prior to starting construction work.