Consultation status: closed 22 February 2017
We are proposing to make the following changes on Manukau Road, outside Epsom Girls Grammar School:
- Install a new signalised crossing with pedestrian call buttons.
- Install tactile pavers and red road surface treatment.
- Install new road markings, including No stopping at all times restrictions (broken yellow lines) and advanced stop boxes for cyclists.
- Remove the existing traffic island.
Why the changes are required
Pedestrian counts show a high pedestrian crossing activity in this area. The improvements will provide safer crossing facilities with increased visibility for pedestrians.
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received a majority of positive feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
- Suggestion to review the location of the proposed pedestrian crossing. The proposed signalised crossing is replacing a pedestrian refuge island already in place. The location of the crossing has been chosen because it follows the pedestrian desire line (where the highest volume of pedestrians cross the road).
- Question whether the set of lights will operate like a normal crossing with push buttons. Yes, it will include push buttons to activate the crosswalk signal.
- Recommendation to ensure that the construction works are carried out during school holidays. We will take it into account to minimise impact on traffic.
- Question about what the impact will be on the crossing at Great South Road. The crossing at Great South Road will continue to operate however we will review the traffic signal phasing to ensure the optimum operation of the network and minimise traffic delays.
- Question about what the impact will be on vehicular traffic. We will review the traffic signal phasing to ensure the optimum operation of the network and minimise traffic delays.
- Suggestion for students to be encouraged to walk to either of the existing nearby crossings. The proposed crossing has passed a warrant at this location indicating that there is a high demand for a signalised crossing at this location. Feedback received from the public, especially from the school community, supported this proposal.
- Request to review the length of the ‘No stopping at all times’. We have assessed the length of the ‘No stopping at all times’ and it is the minimum we can permit to provide adequate visibility for pedestrians and drivers.
- Suggestion that the advance stop boxes for cyclists are impeding traffic moving away. These boxes are a necessary part of the design to facilitate for cyclists.
- Request for additional works including ‘Keep clear’ markers on the roads/Make Manukau Road, GSR and Alpers Avenue a ‘barnes dance’/add a cycle lane along Manukau Road. If you would like your request to be considered by AT for future development works, please provide feedback here.
We expect to introduce this work in the 2017/18 financial year (starting in July 2017), subject to any further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will issue a 48-hour notice to all residents in the area prior to starting construction work.