Consultation status: closed 22 February 2017
We are proposing to make the following changes on Manukau Road, outside Greenwood Medical Centre:
- Install a pedestrian traffic island.
- Install new pram crossings with tactile pavers.
- Install new No stopping at all times restrictions (broken yellow lines).
- Install new ‘Keep Left’ signage.
Why the changes are required
Pedestrian counts show a high pedestrian crossing activity in this area. The improvements will provide safer crossing facilities with increased visibility for pedestrians.
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
- Suggestion that the No stopping at all times restrictions are too excessive. We have assessed the length of the proposed broken yellow lines and they are the minimum amount required to provide adequate visibility for approaching vehicles.
- Comment that there is no need for a crossing outside Greenwood Medical Centre. Visitors to the Greenwood Medical Centre were the original reason for the crossing request. Feedback received from the wider community also supported the addition of a crossing at this location.
- Suggestion that the crossing be moved because most people cross near the bus stops and café. From site investigations this was the location deemed most suitable for the pedestrian demand. There is already a pedestrian refuge for the cafés further south, for those crossing north of the entrance to Cornwall Park.
- Concern that residents are unsure how the crossing will operate. This is a refuge island which gives people a safe place to stop halfway on their crossing of Manukau Road. Because cars don’t have to stop at this type of crossing, pedestrians must look out for a gap in traffic to cross the road.
- A concern that the addition of a pedestrian crossing will affect traffic flow. Our assessment has confirmed that the pedestrian crossing will have no effect on the traffic flow on Manukau Road.
- Request that the No stopping at all times restrictions (broken yellow lines) need to be extended further to improve visibility. The current proposed restrictions are per the required standards to ensure adequate visibility.
We expect to introduce this work in July 2017/18, subject to any further changes in design or funding issues.