Proposal status: closed 5 December 2018
Reference number: FP1819-016
We're proposing changes in your area
We are proposing a new footpath on Marmion Street in Auckland’s City Centre. The proposed change also includes a priority crossing of Marmion Street at Queen Street and relocation of the P5 loading zone on Marmion Street.
This proposal is part of our footpath programme, which aims to improve pedestrian accessibility all over Auckland.
Why the changes are needed
These changes are needed to improve pedestrian accessibility by connecting two existing footpaths on White Street and Queen Street. The proposed changes will enable safer and more convenient walking journeys in the city centre, at a location where no footpath currently exists.
This project will proceed to the next stage of detailed planning, with some of your suggestions being included in/investigated for the detail design. Thank you to everyone who submitted feedback. A summary of this feedback and answers to community questions and concerns is below.
- This proposal received positive responses from community members and stakeholders who supported these improved walking facilities in the area.
- Request for this to be made a raised crossing.
Yes, this crossing will be a raised crossing.
- Suggestion for some landscaping elements to be added.
Based on your feedback the designers are investigating the inclusion of a landscaped kerb build-out at the White Street end of the project. This is subject to vehicle tracking constraints, as we need to be sure larger vehicles are not obstructed by this build-out.
- Request to add lights or CCTV to the design as this is a very dark street.
A lighting review will be included in the detail design stage.
- Please include steel bollards near the curb at the entrance of Queens Square, as cars park all around the pedestrian entrance of this complex, which then block cars from being able to access Marmion Street.
Steel bollards will restrict the width of the footpath for pedestrians, including wheelchair users and people with prams. A note will be sent to the parking team within Auckland Transport to address illegal car parking in this area. When you catch someone infringing, you can also contact parking enforcement on 09 355 3553.
- There is haphazard parking on Marmion Street, please enforce strict rules, add cameras and 'No Stopping' signage. Cars often park on the broken yellow lines for extended periods with their hazard lights on.
A note will be sent to the parking team within Auckland Transport to address illegal car parking in this area.
- There is no issues with the paid parking removal, but the loading zone is vital. Please retain the loading zone.
The loading zone will be relocated to White Street, as shown in the drawing.
- Customer supports this proposal, and are asking us to please consider their parking garage entrance and water meters which will be located on and along the footpath.
These comments have been received and noted. We will take this into account in the detail design stage.
- Please don’t ban the right hand turn into Marmion Street.
The right turns into Marmion Street must be banned to improve the safety at this intersection. Right turning vehicles would be looking across two high speed general traffic lanes and could easily overlook pedestrians using the crossing resulting in a collision.
This work will happen before July 2019, but we will let you know if there are further changes or delays. Our contractors will send notices to affected residents 48-hours prior to construction starting.