Consultation status: closed 17 March 2017
We are proposing to install new No stopping at all times restrictions (broken yellow lines) outside 72 Nelson Street.
Why the changes are needed
Drivers are currently having difficulty exiting the carpark of 72 Nelson Street because vehicles parked south of the exit are creating visibility issues, whilst when they are parked north of the exit, they are making it difficult to turn out of the carpark.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed with changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Changes to this proposal include:
- Existing parking north of the exit of 72 Nelson Street will not be removed.
- Broken yellow lines will be installed
acrossthe exit of 72 Nelson Street.
- Motorbike only parking will be installed south of the exit of 72 Nelson Street.
- Request to extend broken yellow lines either to the main entrance of 72 Nelson Street or the entire length of Nelson Street on one side. We understand that on-street parking is valuable, and removal is only carried out when absolutely necessary. There are visibility concerns for vehicles exiting the car park at 72 Nelson Street due to vehicles parked on the street south of the exit. This proposal will ensure there is adequate visibility and retain as much on-street parking as possible.
- Request to install islands instead of restricting parking. Our assessments confirm that installing islands would make it more difficult for people onto Nelson Street.
- Concern from residents that visitors will have nowhere to park. Parking north of the exit will be retained, with broken yellow lines installed across the driveway to ensure vehicles do not block the exit.
- Suggestion to remove the cycle lane and use the space for parking instead. The cycle lane is part of the current and future cycle networks and cannot be altered or removed.
- Concern from residents that this proposal is not required because there are no issues exiting 72 Nelson Street. Our site visit confirms that residents are having difficulty exiting the car park due to the visibility issues caused by vehicles parked south of the exit. This proposal will improve visibility and will allow vehicles to exit more easily.
- Request for additional works including a request for more parking within the city centre. For requests to be considered, please use our Feedback form or Report a problem form.
We expect to begin this work by June 2017, subject to any further design or funding issues.
Contractors will issue