Consultation status: closed 13 February 2018
Proposal reference: RTV-124
We are proposing to upgrade the existing zebra crossing at 60 Oranga Road to include a raised speed table.
Why the changes are needed
Drivers have been observed failing to stop at the zebra crossing and a pedestrian has been struck while using the crossing. The raised table will make the crossing safer.
The proposal received positive feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
- Suggestion for more signs to indicate that a school is there. The existing signage on the approach to the zebra crossing includes the advance warning signage as well as the school speed zone signs indicating that the area is a slow speed zone. The existing signage is considered sufficient at this stage, although we may consider additional signage following the safety audit.
- Suggestion that there should be more parking removal. On the northern side of Oranga Avenue, we have added additional broken yellow lines on the approach to the crossing so that we meet the sight distance requirements for pedestrians. The existing broken yellow lines on the southern side of Oranga Avenue already meet the sight distance requirements for pedestrians, and these will be improved further with the zebra crossing.
- Concern about side islands pushing cyclists into the path of traffic. Side islands are considered necessary for zebra crossings that are installed near schools to reduce the crossing distance for children. Since the users of this crossing are predominantly children, we are intending to proceed with the scheme as originally proposed with traffic islands.
- Enquiry as to where the alternative crossing will be whilst work is in progress and that the project work be carried out during school holidays to minimise disruption. While construction is underway, a safe alternative crossing will be in place as close as is practicable to the existing zebra crossing. Although our delivery team try to deliver projects near schools during the school holidays, sometimes this is not always possible due to a given contractors programme and resource.
- Requests additional works include:
- Requests for a crossing by the main entrance to the school.
- Request for attention to be given to the crossing at the end of Waitangi Road crossing Mt Smart Road.
- Request to widen Oranga Avenue.
- Request for more police presence in the area.
- Request for lighting for the crossing at night.
These requests are out of scope for this proposal which focuses on Speed Table Crossing at Oranga Avenue in Onehunga. If you would like your request to be considered by us for future development works, please provide feedback here.
We expect to introduce this work between July 2018 and June 2019, subject to further changes in design or funding issues.
Contractors will issue 48-hour notices to all affected residents prior to construction work.