Consultation status: closed 15 November 2017
Proposal reference: BYL-185
Auckland Transport are proposing to install broken yellow lines on both sides of Rockfield Road, as well as at the intersection of Rockfield Road and Walls Road. We are also proposing to upgrade the current bus stop markings outside 109 and 124 Rockfield Road to meet ATCOP standards.
Drivers experience reduced visibility when turning out of Walls Road onto Rockfield Road because of vehicles parked close to the intersection.
The upgrade of the current bus stop marking is to ensure there is sufficient space to allow buses to pull in and out safely.
The proposal received positive feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
- Requests to reduce broken yellow lines next to the upgraded bus stops to retain more on-street parking for residents. Respondents recognise the need to restrict parking on the corners of Walls and Rockfield Roads, but do not agree with parking removal near bus stops. We are upgrading these bus stops so that buses can move in and out of the stops easily and get as close as possible to the kerb. To do this, we need to remove parking 15 metres before and 9 metres after the stop.
- A request for speed calming measures on Rockfield Road to encourage drivers to observe the 50 kph speed limit. We will investigate this stretch of road for future speed calming measures
- A suggestion to install a roundabout to better control traffic volumes at the intersection of Walls and Rockfield Roads, similar to Campbell Road. The intersection of Rockfield Road and Walls Road is operating relatively safely compared to other streets in Auckland, with 4 crashes over a 5 year period. We are not planning immediate changes to this intersection.
- A request for a pedestrian crossing at 105/124 Rockfield Road to accommodate Oranga Primary school children and Mount Smart Stadium patrons who regularly cross at this location. We will investigate additional pedestrian crossing facilities along Rockfield Road.
- Request to extend cycle lanes along Rockfield Road to Mount Smart Road. We are currently conducting a detailed study of the Auckland Isthmus to determine where further cycling facilities should be constructed. If Rockfield Road is identified as site for future cycle lanes, we will add it into our 2018-2021 programme of works.
We expect to introduce this work between July 2018 and June 2019, subject to further changes in design or funding issues.
Contractors will issue 48-hour notices to all affected residents prior to construction work.