Proposal status: Closed
Reference number: RSU2021-043
Our proposal received a range of feedback that highlighted how important journeys along Shore Road are to the local community. The process of reviewing the feedback has taken longer than anticipated. We aim to publish an overview of it, and the outcome of the proposal, on this webpage in the next couple of months. We thank everyone for sending us feedback and apologise for this delay. We will be back in contact as soon as possible.
We're proposing improvements in your area
To improve the safety of people walking in your neighbourhood, we are proposing to upgrade the existing pedestrian crossing between Shore Road Reserve and Waitaramoa Reserve.
We are proposing to:
- Upgrade the existing crossing point that links the footpaths through Shore Road Reserve and Waitaramoa Reserve to a raised zebra crossing, which is a pedestrian crossing on top of a flat, wide speed bump with a traffic island at the centre of the road.
- Add tactile pavers to the footpath and on the traffic island. These are yellow guidance markers that help people with visual impairments find their way across the road.
- Install high friction surfacing to Shore Road on the westbound lane leading up to the crossing.
- Install streetlights, signs, and new road markings to support the crossing.
This proposal is part of a region-wide programme to upgrade pedestrian safety. We aim to make walking around Remuera’s green spaces safer and more accessible to everyone. The raised table would slow drivers to a safer speed and is raised from the street level so it is comfortable for everyone, including people with prams and wheelchairs, to cross. These improvements would give pedestrians the right of way and connect Shore Road Reserve and Waitaramoa Reserve with a safe, highly visible option to cross Shore Road.
If you would like to post in your feedback, download and print our feedback form template, fill in your details and send it to Freepost using the address details on the form.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
- This project is supported by the Regional Fuel Tax.
Remuera: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Shore Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).