Consultation status: Reopened until 21 February 2017
Pedestrian crossing facility outside 47 View Road:
- Install pedestrian refuge island with pram crossings, tactile pavers and new signs and road markings including No Stopping At All Times restrictions.
- Relocate the existing bus stop and shelter outside 49 View Road to outside 29 View Road.
- Realign the kerb outside 47 View Road.
Pedestrian crossing facility outside 32 View Road:
- Install a zebra crossing with side islands, pram crossings, tactile pavers and new signs and road markings including No stopping at all times restrictions (broken yellow lines) restrictions.
Kerb extension from 34 to 36 View Road:
- Extend the footpath.
- Retain parking spaces outside 40 View Road and add new spaces outside 38 View Road.
- Shift the bus stop outside 34 View Road as a result of the new kerb extension.
Roundabout at the intersection of View Road and Esplanade Road:
- Install a mountable central island.
- Install pedestrian splitter islands on three approaches.
- Install a raised pedestrian zebra-crossing on the southern Esplanade Road approach.
- Install pram crossings, tactile pavers, signs and road markings including No stopping at all times restrictions (broken yellow lines).
- Install kerb extensions with realigned grass berms and footpath.
- Relocate the existing bus stop and shelter outside 19 View Road to outside 29 View Road.
- Remove existing bus stop outside 38 Esplanade Road.
Why the changes are required
Mt Eden Normal Primary School, Ficino School and residents of View Road have raised concerns about the lack of adequate pedestrian crossing facilities along View Road.
These changes will provide pedestrians with a safe place to cross the road. The new No stopping at all times are required to allow drivers to see pedestrians using the crossing. Pedestrians will also have a clearer view of approaching vehicles before stepping out onto the road.
In addition, the layout of the intersection of View Road and Esplanade Road is considered to be confusing and unsafe and has resulted in near-misses. Speeding throughout the road has also been identified as a hazard by the local community. The changes at the intersection will better control traffic flow while providing pedestrians with a safe place to cross the road. The extension of existing No stopping at all times restrictions will increase visibility for pedestrians at the crossings and driver accessibility.
The existing bus stops near the intersection have accessibility issues. Relocating and/or removing them will increase the efficiency of the service and provide on-street parking spaces.
Download the View Road consultation plans
If you would like to post in your feedback, download and print our feedback form template, fill in your details and send it freepost using the address details on the form.