Proposal status: Feedback open until 30 March 2021
Reference number: MIP1920-054
We're proposing improvements in your area
Aucklanders have told us that moving around our city safely and easily is important to them. We are proposing some changes to this busy intersection to improve traffic flow and are asking for your views.
The changes we are proposing:
- Change the existing northbound shared through and right turning lane on Chapel Road to a dedicated through lane.
- Install a new dedicated right turning lane for drivers turning right from Chapel Road on to Kilkenny Drive.
- Extend the existing merge lanes and the median strip (the section of white diagonal lines painted in the centre of the road) on Chapel Road north of the intersection.
- Widen the road and construct a new footpath and berm to make space for the new lanes. This involves removing 8 non-native trees from the berm. The trees will be replanted nearby.
- Upgrade the existing zebra crossing on the slip lane of Kilkenny Drive to a zebra crossing on a Swedish-style raised table. A Swedish speed table has a ramp up and a more gentle exit which gives a smoother ride for larger vehicles.
- Extend the designated left turning lane on Kilkenny Drive.
- Reconstruct the driveways outside 716-736 Chapel Road.
- Install tactile pavers which are yellow guidance paving markers to help visually impaired people to find their way to the crossing and safely cross the road.
- Realign the existing crossings and install new road markings and signs to support the changes.
- There will be no changes to parking.
Auckland Transport would like to work with you to deliver safer roads in your neighbourhood. We know that this intersection currently experiences congestion, especially during the morning and afternoon peak periods. Our observations show that drivers occasionally run red lights and weave in and out of traffic at this intersection which create safety issues. These changes aim to improve the safety of the intersection by reducing congestion and the need for weaving between traffic lanes.
This project is supported by the Regional Fuel Tax fund.
If you would like to post in your feedback, download and print our feedback form template, fill in your details and send it freepost using the address details on the form.
What happens next
- We’ll listen to all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
Dannemora: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Chapel Road and Kilkenny Drive are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).