Edgewater Drive, Pakuranga – Raised Zebra Crossing Edgewater Drive, Pakuranga – Raised Zebra Crossing
Proposal status: Closed
Reference number: SSM2122-012
In October 2022, we proposed to install a raised zebra crossing on Edgewater Drive, near Edgewater College. After reviewing all the feedback, we are proceeding with the work as proposed.
These works help support our Vision Zero goal of improving safety across Auckland and contributes towards fulfilling the Central Government mandate of improving safety around schools by lowering driving speeds.
What happens next
We anticipate the changes will be constructed between April and October 2023. We will be in touch with Edgewater College, local residents and businesses prior to any construction taking place.
Thank you for helping us make better decisions for your neighbourhood, informed by your local knowledge. We received support from the community and Edgewater College on our proposal as it would benefit the community and around the school by slowing down traffic and providing a safe place for children to cross the road.
We're proposing improvements in your area
To support the recently proposed speed limit reductions outside schools around Auckland, we are proposing to raise the zebra crossing on Edgewater Drive, near Edgewater College. The proposed change will provide students with a safer crossing and promote safer speeds.
We are proposing to:
- Raise the zebra crossing outside 9 Edgewater Drive to the height of the footpath.
- Install tactile pavers at the crossing. Tactile pavers are yellow guidance paving markers that help visually impaired people find their way to the crossing and safely cross the road.
- Paint new road markings and install new signage to support the changes. There will be no loss of parking from these changes.
Download the proposal drawing for Edgewater Drive (PDF 733KB)
We would like your feedback so we can work together to deliver safer roads across Tāmaki Makaurau.
We have a vision for Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland where no one dies or is seriously injured on our transport network. We want everyone to be safe regardless of how they are travelling. So, we’re working to build a more forgiving transport network that recognises we’re all human and make mistakes.
This proposal outside of Edgewater College contributes to Tāmaki Makaurau’s Vision Zero goal as it would:
- Slow motorists to a safer speed at the crossing point.
- Raise pedestrians crossing the road to be at eye-level of approaching motorists, making them easier to see from a distance.
- Improve visibility between motorists and people waiting to cross the road.
- Make it more comfortable for everyone, including people with prams and wheelchairs, to cross the road as the crossing is level with the footpath
What happens next
- We’ll listen to all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
- This proposal is supported with funding from the Auckland regional fuel tax.
Pakuranga: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Edgewater Drive are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).