35 Hill Street, Warkworth – Raised Zebra Crossing 35 Hill Street, Warkworth – Raised Zebra Crossing
Proposal status: Feedback open until 31 March
Reference number: 20100543
We're proposing improvements in your area
Aucklanders have told us that moving around our city safely and easily is important to them. We are proposing some improvements to your area.
The Rodney Local Board has received requests from the community to improve pedestrian safety on Hill Street in Warkworth. They have asked AT to upgrade the zebra crossing outside Warkworth Primary School.
On their behalf, we are proposing to raise the existing zebra crossing at 35 Hill Street, Warkworth.
We are proposing to:
- Upgrade the existing zebra crossing at 35 Hill Street in Warkworth to a raised zebra crossing.
- Rebuild the footpath near the raised crossing and install tactile pavers at the crossing point. These are yellow guidance paving markers to help visually impaired people find their way to crossings and safely across roads.
- Install 4 new side islands which narrow the road and reduces the crossing distance for pedestrians.
- Install new pram crossings at the crossing point. These are gentle, sloped ramps from the footpath to the road. They will provide a smooth transition from the footpath to the raised crossing.
- Rebuild part of the driveway of 36 Hill Street to support the proposed changes.
- Install new signage and paint new road markings to support the proposed changes.
Download the proposal drawing for Hill Street (PDF 445KB)
These proposed changes will:
- Encourage drivers to slow down and travel at a safer speed which improves safety for everyone. Slower speeds help reduce the likelihood of serious injuries or death in the event of an accident.
- Improve visibility between drivers and pedestrians crossing the road or are waiting to cross.
- The gentle slope from the footpath to the raised crossing will make crossing at this location more comfortable for everyone, especially people with prams and wheelchairs.
What happens next
- We’ll listen to all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
- This project is funded by the Local Board Transport Capital Fund Programme. This programme uses funding within AT's annual budget to deliver on Local Board initiatives for local areas and communities.
Warkworth: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Hill Street are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).