Consultation status: closed 21 October 2016
AT recently asked for feedback on a proposal to improve the intersection at Browns Bay Road and Knights Road in Rothesay Bay.
We propose to:
- Install two new traffic islands to replace the existing one
- Install new kerb build-outs at the intersection
- Install new pram crossings across Gannet Point
- Upgrade signs and road markings
- Install broken yellow lines along Gannet Point
Why changes are needed
The current intersection layout encourages drivers to turn right from Browns Bay Road into Knights Road quickly. This could result in crashes with drivers travelling south along Browns Bay Road.
With the recent cycle lane installed at the intersection, cyclists are exposed to fast-moving traffic. Pedestrians waiting to cross Gannet Point cannot currently see oncoming traffic (and vice-versa), which is also unsafe.