Consultation status: closed 28 July 2017
Proposal reference: BYL-143
We are proposing to install No stopping at all times restrictions (broken yellow lines) on College Road, Northcote.
Parked cars are reducing accessibility for double decker buses using this route. The proposed changes will allow traffic to move safely in both directions.
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received positive feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
- Clearways to be applied only during peak times: 7-9am and 4.40-6.30pm. Clearways are normally implemented to improve the traffic flow. No stopping at all times restrictions on College Road are not proposed to improve the traffic flow. The issue is caused by parked vehicles on the northern side of the road as the width of the lane is not designed to accommodate two vehicles. Therefore, the broken yellow lines are required at this side of the road to create space for drivers to be able to manoeuvre easily.
- Request for parallel parking bays between 36-42 and 46-54. Parking bays are a possibility as an installation with this width on the College Road.
- Concerns about reduction in parking. We acknowledge that a consequence of this proposal is the inevitable loss of on-street parking along College Road. The implementation of No stopping restrictions is crucial to prevent vehicles crossing the centreline and therefore can improve the overall safety of the road.
- Enquiry about why the restrictions are only being added to this stretch of College Road. Parked vehicles on the northern side of the College Road are causing issues and the No stopping restrictions are required at this side of the road to improve visibility and create space so that drivers can manoeuvre easily.
- Concerns about loss of parking at kindergarten. The new parking restrictions are necessary for safety reasons. Alternative parking facilities are available in the Northcote community hall parking spaces and in the surrounding streets.
- Extend broken yellow lines from 58 to 74 and also add them outside 65 College Road. The No stopping at all times restrictions are proposed at the section where the width is not enough to accommodate for both parked cars and oncoming traffic. They can provide a balance between reasonable public access and parking demand. Also on street parking is a valuable and shared community resource. Therefore, its removal is only carried out where a significant safety or accessibility issue has been identified.
- Request to only restrict parking on south side of the road. Issue is being caused by parked vehicles on the northern side of the college road and therefore the No stopping restriction are required at this side of the road instead so that drivers can manoeuvre easily.
- Concerns about an increase in traffic speed. This is a valid point and we acknowledge that a by-product of the proposal could potentially result in faster movements. We believe that the existing land widths, cars parked on only one side of the road and existing vehicle volumes at this location will maintain an appropriate operating speed on the road.
We expect to introduce this work throughout the 2017/18 financial year, subject to any further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will notify all affected residents prior to construction work.