Consultation status: closed 18 November
We are proposing some changes to the intersection of East Coast Road and Kowhai Road in Mairangi Bay.
A crash reduction study for East Coast Road identified five vehicle crashes around this intersection, with three being rear end shunts on Kowhai Road.
The proposed changes will make the intersection and signs more visible for approaching drivers, as well as give pedestrians a safer crossing location.
We propose to:
- Realign the kerbs to reduce the crossing distance for pedestrians and encourage lower driving speeds.
- Install footpath and pram crossings to direct pedestrians to the best place to cross.
- Install No Stopping at All Times (broken yellow lines) to ensure visibility for approaching drivers to see pedestrians and vice-versa.
- Upgrade road markings and signs as required.
- Mark the bus stops to improve efficiency.
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received positive feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
- Enquiry whether the merge lane from Kowhai Road can be lengthened. The proposed improvements remove the merge lane from Kowhai Road to address the concerns of vehicles creeping forward onto East Coast Road.
- Question if the improvements would create congestion on Kowhai Road as the separate lanes for turning left and right from Kowhai onto East Coast Road are being merged into one lane. Tightening the intersection and hence reducing the crossing distance will make it safer for vulnerable road users crossing Kowhai Road. It is considered that this will not create any additional delays for traffic turning right in to Kowhai Road.
- Suggestion that the crossing be moved further into Kowhai Road. A crossing facility further into Kowhai Road would be away from the desired pedestrian line, which would likely result in pedestrians still using the current crossing location as a crossing point.
- Suggestion that street vendors along East Coast Road could cause congestion with vehicles stopping to buy goods from them. Should any problems be caused by street vendors, they can be raised with Auckland Council on (09) 301 0101.
- Request that there be a roundabout instead. A roundabout at this location would prove very expensive and it would also increase through traffic as it would make it easier for traffic to enter and exit Kowhai Road.
We expect to introduce this work by end of June 2017, subject to any further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will issue a 48-hour notice to all residents in the area prior to starting construction work.