Consultation status: closed 5 May 2017
We proposed to:
- Install P120 (two-hour parking) signs outside 4, 6, 14 and 16 Highgrove Lane, to allow for short-term visitor parking.
- Install 'hockey stick' road markings outside 14-30, 21 and 23 Highgrove Lane, to indicate where drivers can park.
- Install 'V' road markings outside 6 and 8 Highgrove Lane, to indicate where drivers cannot park.
- Install No stopping at all times restrictions (broken yellow lines) at the end of the cul-de-sac and around the central island.
Why the changes are needed
Highgrove Lane has high parking demand because it is close to the Constellation Drive Park & Ride bus station.
Drivers also park too close to the driveways and on the narrow end of the cul-de-sac, which causes accessibility issues for residents, emergency vehicles and rubbish collection vehicles.
The proposed changes will address the parking issues on this road and improve accessibility for vehicles.
The proposal received positive feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
- Some residents do not see any parking issue on Highgrove Lane.
Because the Constellation Bus Station park and ride has been very successful, more people will seek parking space around the station - and that includes Highgrove Lane. We believe that it is a good opportunity to formalise parking space with hockey sticks and P120 restrictions.
- Suggestion to remove the proposed P120 sign from 4-6 Highgrove Lane, and install a P120 sign from 12 to 16 Highgrove Lane.
The car park space outside #4 and #6 is convenient and appropriate to install P120 restriction. There is P120 restriction outside #14 and #16.
- Hockey sticks need to have the one meter rule enforced.
Hockey sticks will be installed 1m from the driveway in accordance with the road code.
- Install Broken Yellow Lines (BYLs) on one side of Highgrove Lane to make it safer for residents getting in and out of the street.
Since parking is already limited, AT is trying to maintain as much parking space as possible. Too many BYLs on one side of this road will increase traffic flow, encouraging traffic to drive faster. We haven’t added extra BYLs into the proposal.
- Install a sign at the top of Highgrove Lane, to alert drivers not to park on verges or block the footpath.
If vehicles are constantly driving on this section of footpath, we recommend you report this to Parking Enforcement who are responsible for ensuring road rules are adhered to. If you witness a vehicle illegally parked on the footpath or blocking the footpath, report it to Parking Enforcement on 09 355 3553.
- Install a P120 parking restriction at the parking bay in front of Highgrove Reserve.
Since parking is already limited, AT is trying to maintain as much parking space as possible. We believe that the proposed P120 guest parking space is sufficient.
- Request for additional works including installation of an arrow sign by the island at the end of the cul-de-sac, to alert drivers of the direction they must drive.
This is a good suggestion. We will install a 'keep left' sign on the island.
If you would like your request to be considered by AT for future development works, provide feedback here.
We expect to begin work in the 2017/18 financial year (starting in July 2017), subject to any further changes in design or funding issues.
Contractors will notify all affected residents 48 hours before construction work starts.