Consultation status: closed 14 February 2017
We are proposing to install new No stopping at all times restrictions (broken yellow lines) on John Downs Drive, Browns Bay as shown on the consultation plan.
Why the changes are required
Parked vehicles are causing visibility issues for residents on John Downs Drive. Since there is a dip in the road, it’s hard for residents to see vehicles coming from East Coast Road (travelling south on John Downs Road) clearly.
This proposal will improve visibility for the affected parties.
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
- Request that the No stopping at all times restrictions should be extended further on both sides of John Downs Drive as most people have off-street parking. An extension of the No stopping at all times restrictions may increase accessibility, however these would not be justified due to the increased loss of parking. On-street parking is a valuable community resource and its removal is only considered when necessary, therefore in this case we will not be extending the restrictions.
- Suggestion that the parking restrictions should only apply during school drop off and pick up times. Our site assessment has confirmed that the proposed restrictions are required due to the road width and the visibility concerns and even with the proposed parking restrictions there is sufficient parking available to cater parents wishing to collect and drop off their children. The proposed restrictions will provide a 24-hour solution to the visibility issue compared with time dependent parking restrictions.
- Suggestion that there should be speed calming measures and/or a pedestrian crossing installed. We investigate all requests against a set of policy guidelines for the Local Area Traffic Management (LATM). This makes it possible for us to determine the roads with the most significant safety problems and therefore which roads need to receive a higher priority, given that there are limited funds for these types of projects. We added John Downs Drive to the minor safety list early last year, improvements will be made when the higher priority projects have been carried out.
- Statement that there is not enough off-street parking and concern that this will devalue properties on the street. During our site visit we confirmed that there are significant visibility concerns and other safety concerns therefore the proposed restrictions are necessary to create a safer road environment. There is a significant amount of on-street parking spaces available further down John Downs Drive, where there are no visibility restrictions.
- Concern that these parking areas are needed for parents to drop off/collect their children for school. Our site visit has confirmed that due to the road width and visibility concerns the proposed restrictions are required. However, there are a significant amount of on-street parking spaces available further down John Downs Drive and in the neighbouring side streets.
- Request for additional works including a request to repair the footpath along John Downs Drive. If you would like your request to be considered by AT for future development works, please provide feedback or report a problem here.
We expect to introduce this work by August 2017, subject to any further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will issue a 48-hour notice to all residents in the area prior to starting construction work.