Consultation status: closed 22 February 2017
We are proposing to install a new footpath and a stormwater pipe adjacent to the Matakana Primary School.
Why the changes are required
Accessibility to the footpath next to Matakana Primary School is obstructed when cars park on the shoulder when dropping off and collecting children.
The proposal will introduce a walkway by replacing the current ditch with a footpath and a stormwater pipe underneath.
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
- Concern whether the footpath and parking would be wide enough to accommodate opening car doors etc. The proposed footpath will be 1.8m in accordance with Auckland Transport Code of Practice (ATCOP). The preliminary and final designs will look closer into road widths and parking in order to assess conditions.
- Suggestion to extend the footpath further west. We are proposing another project to install a timber footbridge across the Tamahunga stream with a concrete footpath on either side linking to the existing concrete raised platform on Tamahunga Drive and a future footpath on Matakana Road. Pedestrians will use this new footbridge to cross the Tamahunga stream rather than the existing bridge for vehicles. Considering this, the proposed footpath does not require extending, moreover the installation of a pedestrian crossing is under assessment.
- Question if the road width would be maintained. The preliminary and final designs will look closer into road widths and parking and assess accessibility.
- Enquiry about the surface of the footpath. The proposed footpath will be constructed in accordance with Auckland Transport's Code of Practice (ATCOP).
- Request for additional works including the installation of a pedestrian crossing. If you would like your request to be considered by AT for future development works, please provide feedback or report a problem here.
We expect to introduce this work by June 2018, subject to any further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will issue a 48-hour notice to all residents in the area prior to starting construction work.