Consultation status: closed 25 August 2017
Proposal reference: FP1718-018
We are installing new footpaths (1.8m wide) as part of a wider rehab project on George Street, Arthur Street, Alexandra Street and Sussex Terrace in Riverhead.
Why the changes are needed
The Regional Footpath Improvement Programme can support walking by:
- Improving safety for pedestrians of all ages with clearly defined pedestrian paths away from motorised traffic.
- Improving access to community facilities such as educational institutions, transport hubs, parks, town centres and employment areas.
- Completing missing links in the existing pedestrian networks to support a wider variety of local walking trips and to utilise surrounding footpaths effectively.
This work is being carried out alongside road rehabilitation works in the area which minimises disruption for residents whilst creating a significant cost saving for AT.
The proposal received positive feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
- Street lighting should be installed at the same time as the footpaths. There are no plans to install street lighting at this stage, however as part of this project we will design in ducting at appropriate locations to achieve cost and efficiency savings for when improved street lighting is implemented.
- Ensure ramps in footpath line up on opposite sides of the road. This will be taken on board as part of detailed design work.
- Footpath required on York Terrace to connect to the footpath on Queen Street. The roads identified for new footpaths are those where a road maintenance is planned. At this stage there is no planned maintenance for York Terrace.
We expect to introduce this work in the 2017/18 financial year, subject to any further changes in design or funding issues.
Contractors will issue 48-hour notice to all affected residents prior to construction work.