Proposal status: Feedback open until 13 July 2020
Reference number: CSFR1.7
We're proposing changes in your area
Rodney Local Board and Auckland Transport are proposing pedestrian safety improvements at 28 Rata Street, Helensville. This project is in response to concerns about high speeds and the limited safe pedestrian crossings in the area. The proposed changes are expected to slow speeds on approach and allow for an increase of people crossing.
Changes proposed on Rata Street
- upgrade the existing crossing to a raised zebra crossing. This should help slow speeds on
approach and allow for a high volume of pedestrian traffic.
- construct tactile surface pavers to ensure access for the visually impaired and stable footing
for all pedestrians.
- install skid-resistant road surfacing to help vehicles decrease speeds in front of the crossing.
- install road signs to warn drivers of the crossing ahead.
- remove four parking spaces and shorten the pickup and drop off area by one space to ensure visibility.
If you would like to post in your feedback, download and print our feedback form template, fill in your details and send it freepost using the address details on the form.
Focus on road safety - Community Safety Fund
This proposal is supported by the Community Safety Fund which is a $20 million programme focused on tackling road safety concerns raised by the community. Auckland Transport is partnering with the Rodney Local Board and Ward Councillors to deliver this project, which is part of more than 80 locally funded safety improvement projects across Auckland.
Helensville: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Rata Street are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).