Consultation status: closed 15 December 2016
We are planning to install No stopping at all times restrictions (broken yellow lines) around the bend, outside property numbers 212-216 Schnapper Rock Road and outside property numbers 246-248 Schnapper Rock Road, in Albany.
Why changes are required
When cars are parked around the bend, at both locations, drivers find it difficult to see oncoming vehicles. Broken yellow lines are being proposed to improve visibility around these two corners.
Download the 212-216 Schnapper Rock Road consultation plans:
Download the 246-248 Schnapper Rock Road consultation plans:
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
- Request that the No stopping at all times restrictions should be extended further than they are currently proposed. As on-street parking is a valuable shared community resource, its removal is only carried out where it is absolutely necessary. The proposal No stopping at all times restrictions are suitable to alleviate the visibility concerns along this road, therefore further removal of parking is not supported at this stage.
- Suggestion that here should be No stopping at all times restrictions on both sides of Schnapper Rock Road. For a residential area, it is accepted that parked vehicles may occasionally reduce the traffic flow to a single lane. The width of Schnapper Rock ensures that one vehicle can pass through even with vehicles parked on either side.
- Request that the No stopping at all times restrictions should be placed directly outside 214-216 Schnapper Rock Road. The No stopping at all times restrictions will be installed on the inside of the bend because a parked vehicle on the inside of the bend will obstruct drivers' visibility of oncoming vehicles. The removal of parking on the outside of the bend (directly outside 214-216 Schnapper Rock Road) is not considered necessary as it would not improve driver visibility.
- Recommendation that the No stopping at all times restrictions be extended to 262 Schnapper Rock road across the shared driveway. Given it is already illegal to park within one metre of a driveway, Auckland Transport would not install No stopping at all times restrictions to indicate this.
- Concern that vehicle speeds are too high on Schnapper Rock Road. Our site visits have not identified any speeding issues along Schnapper Rock Road.
- Request for additional works including a request for street lighting to be placed on all bends of Schnapper Rock Road and a request to remove a broken down bus. If you would like your request to be considered by AT for future development works, please provide feedback or report a problem here.
We expect to introduce this work by June 2017, subject to any further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will issue a 48-hour notice to all residents in the area prior to starting construction work.