Proposal status: Updated 9 March 2021
Reference number: NOP2021-005
Our proposal received a range of feedback that highlighted how important journeys through the intersection of Sunnynook Road and Sycamore Drive are to the local community.
The process of reviewing the feedback has taken longer than anticipated. We aim to publish an overview and outcome of this proposal on this webpage in the next couple of months.
We thank everyone for sending us feedback and apologise for this delay. We will be back in contact as soon as possible.
We're proposing changes in your area
We are proposing to install three crossings with traffic lights at the intersection of Sunnynook Road and Sycamore Drive in Sunnynook. We have identified this intersection as having a high level of congestion. This proposal aims to reduce congestion on Sycamore Drive, especially for vehicles turning right out of Sycamore Drive, and improve pedestrian safety by providing clear points for crossing the roads.
Changes proposed on Sunnynook Road
- Install traffic lights at the intersection to help prevent crashes between turning vehicles and oncoming traffic. This includes Advanced Stop Boxes (ASBs) which are green boxes painted with a bicycle symbol where people on bicycles can wait before the lights. ASBs improve road safety by making cyclists more visible to people in vehicles.
- Create two new crossings with traffic lights as safe places to cross the road. These will have street lighting and tactile pavers, which are yellow guidance paving markers to help visually impaired people to find their way to the crossing and safely cross the road.
- Reconstruct the footpath and plant a new grass berm at the intersection. This will improve accessibility of the crossing. Trimming of trees will be required to provide clear visibility of the traffic lights.
- Add broken yellow lines (no stopping at all times) to formalise no parking on the corner of the intersection and ensure cars do not block the flow of traffic.
- Paint new and modify existing road markings to support the signalisation of the intersection. This will include creating a new turning lane to enable signal-controlled turns onto Sycamore Drive, and a through lane for traffic continuing along Sunnynook Road. A keep clear road marking will be painted to accommodate nearby driveways.
- Install skid-resistant surfacing on the approach from both directions in order to help with slowing vehicle speeds.
Changes proposed on Sycamore Drive
- Install traffic lights with ASBs.
- Create a new crossing with tactile pavers. This will require cutting back the kerb and reconstructing the footpath.
- Install skid resistant surfacing on the approach to the intersection.
- Relocate signs to support the new traffic lights.
- Relocate the existing pedestrian island further away from the intersection.
This project is supported by the regional fuel tax fund.
Sunnynook: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Sunnynook Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).