Consultation status: closed 24 February 2017
We are proposing to make the following changes:
Install a new pedestrian crossing at the free left turn at the intersection of West Hoe Road and Hibiscus Coast Highway.
Install new road markings (advanced warning diamond and limited line) and also remove the existing limited line and No stopping at all times restrictions where the new crossing will be placed.
Why the changes are required
The intersection of West Hoe Road and Hibiscus Coast Highway has a history of pedestrian accidents and the proposed changes will encourage lower vehicle speeds on the approach to the intersection and increase pedestrian safety and accessibility.
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
- Suggested removal of slip lane/free left turn. Both West Hoe Road and Hibiscus Coast Highway are classified as arterial roads, which means the traffic volume travelling at this intersection is high. To ensure traffic efficiency, the free left turning lane is necessary at this intersection. Also the location is not in a high-density town centre area, therefore it does not meet the criteria for a signalised crossing for the slip lane. We believe that drivers have enough visibility to slow down and give way to pedestrians on this free left turn lane.
- Suggestion to install a raised table for the crossing. Based on the layout of the intersection and the proposed crossing, we believe that drivers will slow down and give way to pedestrians as there is sufficient visibility. As these are arterial roads carrying high traffic volumes including heavy commercial vehicles, a raised table would cause significant maintenance cost for these vehicles which must be taken into consideration.
- Request for access to and from driveways across from intersection. This proposal will not directly affect the current situation for any driveway on the intersection. Vehicles coming out of driveways should be careful and give-way to all directions of traffic.
- Suggestion to address issues with right turn into West Hoe Road from Highway. This request is out of scope of the current proposal but we will be passing your enquiry onto our signal control team to investigate.
- Request for additional works including changes to lane layouts and changes to speed limit/enforcement. If you would like your request to be considered by AT for future development works, please provide feedback or report a problem here.
We expect to introduce this work by June 2018, subject to any further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will issue a 48-hour notice to all residents in the area prior to starting construction work.