Proposal status: Feedback open until 25 November 2022
Reference number: RSU1819-032D
We're proposing improvements in your area
Aucklanders have told us that moving around our city safely and easily is important to them. We are proposing some improvements to your area.
We are proposing to:
- Upgrade the existing zebra crossing at 34 Buckland Road to a Swedish-style raised zebra crossing. This is a zebra crossing with long off ramps, which makes it smoother for large vehicles like trucks, buses, or emergency service vehicles to drive over.
- Upgrade the existing traffic islands on Buckland Road to provide a safe place for pedestrians to wait for traffic to stop in the middle of the road.
- Install a new raised zebra crossing on top of a flat, wide speed bump outside 2 Graeme Avenue. This speed bump would be raised to the height of the footpath.
- Extend the footpath near the shops to narrow the road at the location of the proposed raised crossing and prevent drivers from making unsafe turns from Buckland Road into Graeme Avenue. This would involve also planting a new grass berm and installing new cycle stands. This would remove one parking space outside the shops.
- Relocate the bus stops outside 3 Graeme Avenue and 4 Graeme Avenue slightly further north.
- Paint broken yellow lines (no stopping at any time) near the bus stop at 3 Graeme Avenue to allow buses to pull into and out of the bus stop safely, removing 5 parking spaces.
- Install tactile pavers at all road crossing points. These are yellow guidance paving markers to help visually impaired people find their way to crossings and safely across roads.
- Install signs and paint new road markings to provide advanced warning of the changes.
We would like your feedback so we can work together to deliver safer roads across Tāmaki Makaurau. We have a vision for Tāmaki Makaurau / Auckland where no one dies or is seriously injured on our transport network. We want everyone to be safe regardless of how they are travelling.
We have investigated and identified high pedestrian demand and safety issues at the crossings on Buckland Road and Graeme Avenue. The proposed changes aim to make it safer for people to get to Papatoetoe North High School, the local shops, and the bus stops. They also contribute to Tāmaki Makaurau’s Vision Zero goal as they would:
- reduce driver speeds and improve visibility of pedestrians and cyclists crossing Buckland Road and Graeme Avenue
- provide better cycling facilities to improve cyclist safety at the crossings
- make it safer and more accessible for people walking around the shops nearby and other road users
- improve safety for all and other road users by encouraging safer speeds and improving the intersection of Buckland Road and Graeme Avenue
What happens next
- We’ll listen to all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
- This proposal is supported with funding from the Auckland regional fuel tax
Māngere East: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Buckland Road and Graeme Avenue are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).