Proposal status: Feedback open until 1 July 2022
Reference number: MIP1920-026
We're proposing improvements in your area
The Papakura Local Board and local community have asked us to improve pedestrian and driver safety at this busy intersection, so we are proposing to:
- Install traffic lights with pedestrian crossings at all 4 sections of the existing stop-controlled intersection of Cosgrave Road and Old Wairoa Road.
- Install a raised platform at the centre of the Cosgrave Road and Old Wairoa Road intersection.
- Install cycle stop boxes, which are green boxes painted with a bicycle symbol where people on bicycles can wait before the lights.
- Install tactile pavers which are yellow guidance paving markers to help visually impaired people find their way to the crossing and safely cross the road.
- Remove a tree and telephone box outside 37 Cosgrave Road to allow enough space to create access to the pedestrian crossing.
- Rebuild the footpaths and plant new grass berms at each of the corners of the intersections.
- Reinstate the existing footpath at 37 Cosgrave Road.
- Paint new road markings and add signs to support the signalisation of the intersection. Cosgrave Road will include a right turn bay and a shared through and left lane. Old Wairoa Road will remain a single lane.
- Paint broken yellow lines (no stopping at all times) on all approaches to the intersection. This will remove 14 on-street parking spaces; 3 from the western approach of Old Wairoa Road, 2 from the east, 6 from the northern approach of Cosgrave Road and 3 from the south.
Auckland Transport would like to work with you to deliver safer roads in your neighbourhood. We have received requests to improve safety at this intersection as there have been a high number of crashes here over the past few years.
Installing a raised platform and traffic lights will improve pedestrian and driver safety by providing safer, clear pedestrian crossing points and directing safe turning movements. Including cycle boxes will improve the level of service for cyclists at the intersection and through this area. Removing some on street parking is necessary to support these changes. We understand that removing parking can be inconvenient, so we have minimised the removal whilst allowing for queueing capacity and ensuring all vehicles can safely move through the intersection.
It is our goal that everyone; drivers, cyclists and pedestrians and our most vulnerable, should be able to move around this area as safely and efficiently as possible.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
- This proposal is supported with funding from the Auckland Regional Fuel Tax
Papakura: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Cosgrave Road and Old Wairoa Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).