Finlayson Avenue and Ngatira Place intersection, Clendon Park – Pedestrian Safety Improvements Finlayson Avenue and Ngatira Place intersection, Clendon Park – Pedestrian Safety Improvements
Proposal status: Feedback open until 1 December 2022
Reference number: 20100575
We're proposing improvements in your area
Based on community feedback, your local board has nominated your area for improvements. Manurewa local board are proposing to improve pedestrian safety outside Manurewa Marae and at the Ngatira Place and Finlayson Avenue intersection. With the Marae, Te Wharekura O Manurewa, and two bus stops all nearby, there are many pedestrians, especially children, crossing Finlayson Avenue.
We are proposing to:
- Construct a raised zebra crossing outside 81 Finlayson Avenue, Clendon Park (Manurewa Marae). This is a zebra crossing raised to the height of the footpath with long off ramps for a smoother drive.
- Install raised traffic islands in the middle of the crossing to separate the two lanes of traffic and provide additional safety for people crossing Finlayson Avenue.
- Upgrade the kerb ramps at the intersection of Ngatira Place and Finlayson Avenue so that people can move easily between the footpath and the road.
- Install tactile pavers at road crossing points, which are yellow guidance paving markers to assist the visually impaired people find their way to crossings and safely across roads.
- Paint broken yellow lines (no stopping at all times) at the intersection of Ngatira Place and Finlayson Avenue, outside 81 Finlayson Avenue, and a short section at 76R Finlayson Avenue.
Download the proposal drawing for Finlayson Avenue and Ngatira Place intersection (PDF 523KB)
Auckland Transport would like to work with you to deliver safer roads in your neighbourhood. The proposed changes aim to provide a safe crossing location for rangatahi and their whānau to access Manurewa Marae and nearby bus stops.
These improvements would remove 21 on-street parking spaces. We understand removing parking can be inconvenient, so we have tried to minimise it as much as possible while still improving visibility of pedestrians crossing the road and other road users.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
Focus on Road Safety – Local Board Capital Transport Fund
This project is funded by the Local Board Transport Capital Fund. The fund is used to make improvements based on community priorities, which may not be covered by other programmes of work. The improvements will be delivered by Auckland Transport on behalf of your local board
Manurewa: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Finlayson Avenue are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).