Great South Road/Portage Road & Saleyards Road, Otahuhu – Intersections upgrade Great South Road/Portage Road & Saleyards Road, Otahuhu – Intersections upgrade
Proposal status: Feedback closed 21 August 2019, last updated 15 March 2021.
Reference number: MIP1718-420
In November 2020 we advised you that COVID-19 had impacted our funding and we were not able to estimate a construction date. There has been a change in funding allocation and this project is now planned for construction this year, with work likely to begin between April and June 2021.
We've proposed changes in your area
In August 2019, we proposed upgrading the intersections of Great South Road and Portage Road as well as Portage Road and Saleyards Road in Otahuhu.
At the intersection of Portage and Great South Road, we proposed:
- Changes to Portage Road's existing westbound left turn and through lane into a left-turn only lane.
- A new raised pedestrian crossing on Portage Road’s slip lane onto Great South Road with associated road markings and signage.
At the intersection of Portage and Saleyards Road, we proposed:
- Removing the existing eastbound right turn from Portage Road onto Saleyards Road.
- New traffic islands to support these lane changes.
Download the proposal drawing for the intersection upgrade (PDF 1.2MB)
Why the changes are needed
These changes are needed to improve road safety by simplifying the operation of these intersections and to clarify traffic movements.
This project will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning. Thank you to everyone who submitted feedback. A summary of this feedback and answers to community questions and concerns is below.
- This proposal received positive responses from community members and stakeholders who supported improving traffic flow through these intersections.
Many respondents commented on how this proposal simplified the intersections and therefore made it better for all road users.
- Request for pedestrian access (via a pram ramp and pedestrian tactile pavers) to property number 92 Portage Road.
Thank you for this suggestion. We considered adding pedestrian access when we were investigating different options for these intersections. However, due to the limited visibility between motorists and people crossing at this location, it was decided that this wouldn’t be appropriate. Creating pedestrian access at this location would also be very difficult to construct due to the curve part of the kerb.
The construction of this project is scheduled to begin between April and June 2021. Contractors will issue notices to all affected residents prior to construction work.