Consultation status: closed 31 May 2018
Proposal reference: NOP1718-039
We are proposing to make the following changes on James Fletcher Drive:
- An additional lane through the intersection of Favona Road and James Fletcher Drive in the westbound direction.
- Relocation of the eastbound and westbound bus stops to outside properties 174 and 153 Favona Road and upgrading to current standards.
- New pedestrian crossing facilities outside property 155 Favona Rd, including refuge island and side islands on the northern side of the road.
- Removal of two trees outside properties 153 and 155 Favona Road to accommodate the new bus stop and crossing facilities.
- Removal of the small median island and repainting of lane markings on the Favona Road approach.
- New broken yellow lines at various locations along Favona Road and James Fletcher Road. A total of 66 parking spaces are proposed to be removed, 19 of which are outside residential properties. This will provide unobstructed access for buses and improve the visibility for crossing pedestrians.
Why the changes are needed
As part of Network Optimisation Programme, it was identified that James Fletcher Drive towards Favona Road is experiencing congestion during the afternoon period. The proposed road marking changes aims to improve the flow of traffic through the intersection by reallocating road spaces for James Fletcher Drive and Favona Drive westbound direction. This will enhance traffic flow at the signalised intersection by optimising use of existing road space.
The proposed crossing facilities are aimed at improving pedestrian access to existing footpaths and the newly relocated bus stops. The footpath on the northern side of Favona Road currently ends outside property 176. Pedestrians are forced to cross the road unaided in order to reach the footpath and bus stop on the other side of the road.
This project will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning. A summary of the community feedback we received and answers to questions and concerns is below.
- Respondent has noted that this road is dangerous for cycling and would like the footpath to be extended to offer a safe alternative to the road. The respondent would also like to know when cycling provisions aren’t included as this is part of Auckland’s cycle network. Favona Rd and James Fletcher Dr are indicated as proposed connectors on the ACN. The James Fletcher Dr/Favona Rd/Savill Rd intersection is inside one of the Cycling Project Business Case early start priority areas to be considered for cycling infrastructure during the development of the single stage business case for the area. At this point in time, it is not yet known whether this would materialise into a constructed facility as this would pre-empt the business case process, however Auckland Transport’s Walking & Cycling Transport Planning Team are satisfied that there is nothing to suggest the proposal would preclude any future walking or cycling initiatives in the area. Read more information about the cycling investment programme (PDF 4.2MB).
- Respondent would like the broken yellow lines to be introduced along the entrance to 180 Savill Drive to allow safe entry and exit. While this request does not fall within the scope of this proposal, we have passed your concerns along to the relevant AT team (Traffic Engineering) for further investigation.
This work will happen between July 2018 and June 2019, but we will let you know if there are further changes or delays. Our contractors will send notices to affected residents 48-hours prior to construction starting.