Langley Road and Mayo Road, Wiri – Broken yellow lines Langley Road and Mayo Road, Wiri – Broken yellow lines
Proposal status: Feedback closed 16 March 2022
Reference number: BYL-550
What happens next
- Suggestion that Langley Road between Tacoma Road (north intersection) and Wiri Station Road is dangerous due to parking behaviour and broken yellow lines should be painted along this stretch of Langley Road.
- Suggestion that Langley Road between Roscommon and Mayo requires review and parking removal because trucks park on both sides. This problem is especially apparent in lower light conditions e.g. 5am to 6am when the road is busy. We have investigated these suggestions and will not be extending the broken yellow lines. The reason being that Langley Road is a wide road with a width of approximately 11.8 metres. This means even with vehicles parked on both sides of the road, there is sufficient lane width available for vehicles to slow down and pass safely.
The removal of significant amount of parking from this road would likely lead to higher vehicle speeds as it gives drivers the impression of an open road, thus having a negative impact on safe operation of the road.
- Suggestion to remove the median islands on Bolderwood Place. The proposed extent of the broken yellow lines at intersections of Bolderwood Place and Mayo Road were determined based on the heavy vehicle tracking requirements to improve access for heavy vehicles. The tracking showed large vehicles can navigate through the intersection.
The raised median islands help to encourage slow vehicle turning speeds at this intersection, so we will retain these raised islands.
We're proposing improvements in your area
We received requests from nearby businesses to put in parking restrictions at the intersections along Langley Road and Mayo Road to improve access for heavy vehicles and would like to hear your views.
We are proposing to:
- Paint broken yellow lines (no stopping at all times) along the corners and at the intersections of:
- Langley Road and Tacoma Road (North intersection), removing 17 spaces
- Langley Road and Tacoma Road (South intersection), removing 32 spaces
- Langley Road and Mayo Road, removing 11 spaces
- Mayo Road and Bolderwood Place, removing 12 spaces.
Download the proposal drawing for Langley Road and Mayo Road. (PDF 5.41MB)
Local businesses raised concerns about blocked roads and turning difficulties for large vehicles that need access to nearby businesses and warehouses in this commercial area of Wiri.
The broken yellow lines would remove parking near key intersections and help keep the roads clear. We understand that removing on-street parking can be inconvenient, so we have kept the removal to the minimum necessary to create clear intersections. We based the extent of the proposed broken yellow lines off the turning radius of a semi-trailer truck.
This proposal aims to improve access along Langley, Tacoma, and Mayo Roads.
If you would like to post in your feedback, download and print our feedback form template, fill in your details and send it freepost using the address details on the form.
What happens next
- We’ll listen to all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
Wiri: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Langley Road and Mayo Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).