Consultation status: closed 3 March 2017
We are seeking feedback on a proposal to upgrade the intersection of Moore Street, Gibraltar Street and Elliot Street in Howick.
We propose to:
- Install No stopping at all times restrictions (broken yellow lines) on Moore Street, Gibraltar Street and Elliot Street.
- Install new road signage.
- Install side islands outside 69 Moore Street, along with directional pavers?
- Install a flush median on Elliot and Gibraltar Street approaching the Moore Street intersection.
This intersection does not have a suitable crossing point and pedestrians (including unsupervised school children) have been seen crossing regardless of traffic. The improved road layout will also increase visibility for drivers.
This proposed upgrade will provide a safer means of crossing this intersection - especially during peak demand periods during school hours. As part of these
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
- Request for the No stopping at all times restrictions to be extended on both sides of Gibraltar Street. The proposed No stopping at all times restrictions are sufficient to achieve adequate visibility for pedestrian and drivers using this intersection and proposed crossing facility. Removal of parking further up Gibraltar St will only encourage increased vehicle speeds. Furthermore, on-street parking is available for use by the public and will be removed only for road improvements or safety concerns. At this stage, there is no need to extend the proposed restrictions.
- Suggestion for speed calming measures to be installed to reduce vehicle speeds. The installation of speed calming features requires the completion of a warrant. The warrant includes the analysis of crashes, speed, volume, pedestrian demand, geometry of the road, and types of vehicles using the road. At this point in time, it was not warranted to introduce speed calming features at this intersection.
- Request for additional works including intersection improvements on Elliot Street/Wellington Street intersection. If you would like your request to be considered by AT for future development works, please provide feedback or report a problem here.
We expect to introduce this work by June 2018, subject to any further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will issue a 48-hour notice to all residents in the area prior to starting construction work.