Consultation status: closed 21 September 2017
Proposal reference: TOS1617-035
We are going to install a new controlled Kea Crossing outside Bombay School on Paparata Road. This includes the installation of side islands and associated road markings, as well as a new footpath along the road directly opposite the school. The current two lane drop-off/pick-up bay outside the school will be closed and replaced with a driveway into the staff car park, this will be closed during school pickup and drop off.
Why the changes are needed
Bombay School currently has no pedestrian crossing facility which has led to the area being identified as a safety risk, especially during school pickup and drop off.
The proposal received positive feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
- Potential stormwater issues. We will assess any potential stormwater issues during the detailed design stage.
- Will there be parking restrictions either side of the crossing at opening and closing times? Yes, broken yellow lines are proposed on both sides of the road and on either side of the crossing point.
- The rugby club/hall carpark gets used by parents so there will be traffic entering and exiting at school drop off/pick up. Will there be a problem with the alignment of the new school entrance being almost opposite? The proposed Kea Crossing location is clear of the access to the Bombay Hall. Discussions were had between the school and the Rugby Club regarding the continued use of the car park and Rugby Club representatives have confirmed that that they are happy for that to continue.
- Install a kerb to prevent parking here, people will ignore broken yellow lines. Broken yellow lines are sufficient. Enforcement can be undertaken if required.
- Extend the footpath to meet up with Little Pioneers Daycare. Extension of the footpath will be considered. Cost versus actual usage will be taking into consideration.
- Move the crossing up to the stairs by the netball courts. The area outside the netball courts is away from the main pedestrian crossing point. The required length of new footpath along the southern side would also need to be significantly longer to provide a connection to the Rugby Club car park.
- Consider LED sign that can warn drivers when crossing is in use. The approach sight distance for the static signs will be sufficient and therefore no need for LED signage.
- Request some form of weather protection (eg. Bus shelter) for when children are waiting to cross the road, particularly on the opposite side to the school. Shelters are only considered at scheduled bus stops and not at crossing facilities as pedestrians do not wait for long periods of time at crossings.
- Install a person underpass (The Bombay Underground) under Paparata Road instead, as this is a more permanent, safe and user friendly solution. There is no justification in terms of pedestrian numbers for such an extensive and costly solution – as the purchase of land would be required.
- Concerned that the issue will move to the Rugby Club car park, any plans to upgrade this? The current issue is related to the vehicle and pedestrian movements in the drop-off/pick-up area. The use of the Rugby car park has been agreed upon with the Rugby Club. No upgrade of the car park is proposed as part of this project.
- Will the parking bay outside the school office be moving? The drop-off/pick-up area (i.e. the 2 lanes) will be closed but the staff car park will remain.
We expect to introduce this work in the 2017/18 financial year, subject to any further changes in design or funding issues.
Contractors will issue 48-hour notice to all affected residents prior to construction work.