Consultation status: closed 14 October 2016.
We are seeking feedback on a proposal to improve the intersection of Popes and Porchester Road in Takanini.
We are proposing to:
- Install a wide flush median and right turn bay on Porchester Road, from around 200 meters south of Popes Road intersection up to 354 Porchester Road.
- Widen Porchester Road to accommodate the flush median.
- Install a shared footpath to improve safety for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Install pram crossings on Popes Road to improve access for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Install new signage, road markings and delineators.
Why changes are required
Members of the community and NZ Police have raised concerns about safety at the Popes Road and Porchester Road intersection. Drivers exiting Popes Road do not always give way to traffic on Porchester Road as the intersection is not very visible, or there are not many gaps in the through traffic on Porchester Road.
Also, traffic waiting to turn right from Porchester Road into Popes Road stop in a very narrow flush that impedes through traffic on Porchester Road. Drivers will often
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received positive feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
- Enquiry whether there will be further intersection upgrades that could impact on land development in the future. The current interim works proposed for the intersection does not include any land take. These works are minor safety works that will help right turning vehicles to pull out of the traffic on Porchester Road, when turning into and out of Popes Road. The final design that involves the upgrade of Porchester Road and urbanisation of this area, as the number of houses increases and the surrounding land use changes, may include some land take at the intersection. However, there are no plans available at the moment, because the future upgrade of Porchester Road is still in planning stages. There are plans to widen Popes Road (East-West) to connect to Rangi Road and a new connection over to Mahia Road to help alleviate the issues associated with the road network interacting with the rail network.
- Question whether there will be any cycling facilities in the future. The shared footpath will be extended up to the extent of works, after which there will be a short section of gravel shared path facility before the existing shared Path near Manuroa Road. Upgrading all of Porchester Road to accommodate future traffic flows and a robust Auckland Cycle Network is a long term measure and has not been prioritised at this point in time. A berm between the shared path facility and the traffic lanes has been requested by the internal Walking and Cycling department, which we will take into consideration during the detailed design stage of this project. The provision of the right turn lanes/flush median is to ensure that right turning traffic have a safe place to wait when turning against long queues of traffic on Porchester Road, as well as providing a safe place for motorists exiting Popes Road to turn each lane of traffic separately. This right turn bay and flush median will also provide additional lane width for motorists to pass cyclists who cycle within the traffic lanes.
We expect to introduce this work by June 2017, subject to any further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will issue a 48-hour notice to all residents in the area prior to starting construction work.