Proposal status: Closed on 13 October 2021
Reference number: RSU2021-056
In October 2021, we proposed changes to improve pedestrian safety by installing a raised zebra crossing on Robertson Road, Mangere East. After reviewing all the feedback, we are proceeding with the work as proposed. These works will help support our Vision Zero goal.
What happens next
We anticipate the changes will be constructed in the 2021-2022 financial year. We will be in touch with local residents and business prior to any construction taking place.
Thank you for helping us make better decisions for your neighbourhood, informed by your local knowledge. A summary of your feedback and our responses to community questions is below.
- Request for a speed camera along Robertson Road. The decision to install a speed cameras is under the jurisdiction of NZ Police, so we are unable to accommodate your request. You can get in touch with the Police by ringing 105, the non-emergency number.
- Suggestion to install raised zebra crossing further up Robertson road nearby the local schools. There is already a raised zebra crossing outside Robertson Road School and a signalised crossing outside Koru School to provide safer crossing facilities for the school children. The proposed location for the raised zebra crossing has been located to provide a safe crossing for pedestrians crossing Robertson Road to access Mangere Park.
- Request for traffic lights to be installed at the McKinstry Avenue-Robertson Road Intersection to assist turning right onto Robertson Road. The installation of traffic signals at an intersection is determined by many factors such as the type of road (arterial road, collector or local residential road), crash history and surrounding land use. Based on these, the intersection does not warrant installation of traffic lights at this stage.
We're proposing improvements in your area
Aucklanders have told us that moving around our city safely and easily is important to them. We are proposing some improvements to your area.
As part of the Auckland Transport region-wide pedestrian improvements programme, we are proposing to improve pedestrian safety by installing a raised zebra crossing on Robertson Road, Mangere East.
We are proposing to:
- Install a raised zebra crossing across from 84A Robertson Road. The new crossing will be raised to a platform level with the footpath. This will improve road safety by slowing high traffic speeds near the crossing.
- Install a high friction surface on both sides of the road approaching the crossing, this will give drivers extra grip surface to help reduce their stopping distance when approaching the zebra crossing
- Paint new road markings and install streetlights, signs, and orange reflective disks to support the new crossing.
- Install a pedestrian island in the centre of the raised pedestrian crossing. A pedestrian island is a raised platform in the middle of a road that makes it safer for pedestrians to cross the road by breaking up the journey.
- Install traffic islands on either side of the crossing to support the sections where pedestrians wait to safely cross the road.
Auckland Transport would like to work with you to deliver safer roads in your neighbourhood. Robertson Road has a history of accidents, and this proposal aims to improve the safety of people walking in the area. The proposed crossing will help drivers see people at the crossing, give pedestrians a clear view of any oncoming traffic, and provide a safe place for them to wait to cross the road safely. The proposed raised crossing will reduce driver speeds and increase pedestrian safety and visibility when crossing the road.
If you would like to post in your feedback, download and print our feedback form template, fill in your details and send it to Freepost using the address details on the form.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
Robertson Road, Mangere Easy: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Robertson Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).