Consultation status: closed 23 February 2017
We are proposing to:
- Install a pedestrian refuge island on Settlement Road as per the consultation plan.
- Install a right turn pocket on Kelvin on Settlement Road for Kelvin Road.
- Install No stopping at all times restrictions (broken yellow lines) for the bus stop and associated with the pedestrian refuge island.
- Install directional tactiles and tactile indicators.
- Carry out road markings.
- Extend the No stopping at all times restrictions on Kelvin Road.
Why the changes are required
The traffic and pedestrian survey indicated that there is a moderate demand to cross Settlement Road intersection with Kelvin Road. A childcare and a bus stop is located opposite Kelvin Road on Settlement Road. Settlement Road is very busy throughout the day and the nearest crossing facility is approximately 300 metres apart.
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
Concern that because the splitter island is too close to the intersection it would be unsafe to cross due to vehicles pulling out of the intersection at high speeds. The splitter island will help reduce vehicle speeds turning both in and out of Kelvin Road. Additionally, the proposed refuge island will provide a safer area for pedestrians to wait before crossing Settlement Road which is often very busy.
We expect to introduce this work by June 2018, subject to any further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will issue a 48-hour notice to all residents in the area prior to starting construction work.