Proposal status: closed 25 February 2019
Reference number: BYL-364
We're proposing changes in your area
We are proposing to install broken yellow lines around the head of the cul-de-sac on Stancombe Road, in Flat Bush. This would involve the removal of some on-street parking.
Download the proposal drawing for Stancombe Road (PDF 1.1MB)
Why the changes are needed
These changes are needed to improve accessibility around the cul-de-sac, particularly for larger vehicles. Currently, on-street parking at this location frequently limits the ability of rubbish trucks and other large vehicles to manoeuvre safely around the cul-de-sac.
This project will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning. Thank you to everyone who submitted feedback. A summary of this feedback and answers to community questions and concerns is below.
- This proposal received positive responses from community members and stakeholders who supported efforts to improve accessibility and operation at the cul-de-sac head.
- Request for additional broken yellow lines at the mouth of the cul-de-sac/slip road, in order to improve visibility for drivers turning in and out.
The purpose of the proposal is primarily to ensure that the turning head remains clear. However, we will monitor the entry of the cul-de-sac to better understand the issue raised here. If it is determined that additional broken yellow lines are necessary, they will be consulted on as a separate proposal.
- Concerns that parked cars often block visibility for drivers exiting the underground parking structures on the cul-de-sac/slip road.
Drivers exiting the underground parking facilities do need to take care when entering Stancombe Road. The speeds of vehicles on this cul-de-sac are generally low due to the number of parked vehicles and the short length of the road. Removing parking from the straight section of the cul-de-sac could encourage higher vehicle speeds which would increase the risk to other road users.
- Request to extend broken yellow lines outside of 130 Stancombe Road in order to ensure rubbish trucks can safely access bins for collection.
The current proposal focuses on the accessibility issues for vehicles turning around at the head of the cul-de-sac. We understand that on-street parking is a valuable community resource and aim to remove it only where it poses safety and/or access issues. The issue of parked vehicles preventing direct access to rubbish bins is a common one across the network and we are unable to remove parking for this reason.
- Concerns that cars frequently park over the kerb around the cul-de-sac head.
Vehicles will be unable to park this way when broken yellow lines are installed at this location. If you observe vehicles parking illegally, please contact our enforcement team by calling 09 355 3553.
This work will happen on or before October 2019, but we will let you know if there are further changes or delays. Our contractors will send notices to affected residents 48-hours prior to construction starting.